"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #41
Head Chef

The turn key can opener (if they still can Spam that way) is sheer genius!

Old 01-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Do you have a product called Klik in the US? It is basically the same thing. It is made in Canada, but I was wondering if it has made its way on to grocery shelves south of the border.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #43
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I've never seen Klik here, but we have another that is also similar, called Treet.

Barbara
Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #44
Executive Chef

I like it sliced, fried and on toast with mayo. Yummy!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #45
Senior Cook

I've never seen Kilk, and I don't like Treet - not the same as Spam. I'm going to have to branch out and try some of the recipies that were given here. I especially like the "Spam salad" with the pickle relish.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #46
Assistant Cook

I eat it plainly pan-fried by itself. So good Q.Q. With no shame, I don't really eat low-sodium. :)
Old 02-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
We had "spamburgers" as a kid, and is still a great comfort food to me. You grind up a can of spam with an onion, and about 1 1/2" slice of velveeta cheese, add a can of cream of chicken soup, then spread it just a little less than 1/2" thick on somewhat stale hotdog or hamburger buns, then broil until golden brown. They are soooooo good!
That sounds something like the Spam Pizzaburgers my mother (my "I hate to cook" mother) used to make. After her mother died, my aunt (who is a fantastic cook) decided to compile a cookbook for the new brides (her DILs) of my granny's recipes, her mother's recipes, etc. Well, the only recipe my mother could provide was the one for the Spam Pizzaburgers. My copy of the cookbook is around here somewhere...but she'd grind the Spam (wonder why unwanted email is called Spam...I digress), mix it with spaghetti sauce, put it on a hamburger bun, top it with cheese, and put it under the broiler.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #48
Certified Pretend Chef

On vacation in Aruba we had a Hawaii-themed party. Spam was a natural in that venue. I fried up some cubes of hickory smoked spam and toothpicked each with a cube of fresh pineapple. They were simple and a big hit as there was none left. Even people who had turned up their noses at the idea of eating Spam said they liked it.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #49
Senior Cook

I have read that Hawaiians eat more spam than anyone else in the world. It's a major staple and they are quite creative with the product.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Lived in Hawaii on and off for a decade. Spam was a staple, everyone (but us) loved it. Spam sushi (not kidding), spam/pineapple kabobs. Spam on noodles. Spam with scrambled eggs everywhere (not kidding, even at McD's). Spam everywhere. And I do mean everywhere. I threw a party here and made it a Hawaii themed party, and friends were absolutely amazed that spam was featured! No one who has ever lived in Hawaii would think of having a party without Spam. When we moved to the mainland, we visited Austin, MN. We were having a drink at a local thirst parlor, and the gal who was our bartender joked about it. She thought that the local teachers were lying or exaggerating or something when they told the kids that the local product, SPAM, was a huge hit in Hawaii. Jer and I joked, and had a good time about it. No, it really was (don't know if it still is) very, very popular in Hawaii when we lived there (in the 80s). I don't think we ever went anywhere there wasn't a spam dish.
Hi Claire. I thought I'd reserect this thread to give you the latest report on Spam in Hawaii. We just returned from a vacation on Kauai (swooning) and Spam is still alive and well.
It was interesting to see that even gas station convenience stores have "Spam Rolls" (think hot Sushi hand rolls with Spam) next to their hotdogs.
They were really good !! Something about the rice and Nori going well with the super salty Spam. I actually think I'll make some at home.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None