Spam - the kind you eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first husband was barely out of his teens when he was evacuated from Dunkirk. He was wounded during the evacuation and was not sent back into battle. So he served in the UK for the rest of the war. According to him, if it weren't for the food goods that the Americans willing shared with them after they arrived in England, many of English folks would have had more than one hungry day. A family willingly took an American soldier to heart and home because they knew they could get extra food than their rations provided. Many of the British military resented the Americans for this reason. And I can understand that. His family had moved down from Cockermouth to London so his father could work there. His family realized what a good move it was to take an American into the home. So they ate well. :)

Haven't eaten it for decades, but as I recall, fried, it wasn't bad! We always had a stash of spam at the lake cabin.

So will they eat a picnic shoulder? (Smoked shoulders to New Englanders) That is what SPAM is. Packaged and chopped picnic shoulder with natural gelatin juices. :)

Yes, they will eat that. I also get what I call a "cottage ham" Not as salty as Spam, but just as good.

Yes, they will eat that. I also get what I call a "cottage ham" Not as salty as Spam, but just as good.

It had been years since I had eaten SPAM. So I bought a can one day. First bite, I spit it out. WAY TO SALTY!! Then they came out with the Lite. I bought the small can. Much to my surprise, most of the salt is gone. Now I will buy it about twice a year. :)

i prefer the low sodium version too.

when i was growing up, my parents talked fondly of eating spam during the war (the big one, ww eye eye) in their own ways. mom was in america, dad was stationed in england awaiting operation overlord. we'd have it once in a while on sundays as a treat.

my favourite way of eating spam is to fry thisck slices, place atop buttered toast, then sweat some onions until just soft in the same frying pan, adding eggs to scramble together with the onions. put that on top of the spam and toast and eat open faced with ketchup. or skip the eggs and serve the spam, toast, and onions with brown mustard.

Last edited:
erlord.

my favourite way of eating spam is to fry thisck slices, place atop buttered toast, then sweat some onions until just soft in the same frying pan, adding eggs to scramble together with the onions. put that on top of the spam and toast and eat open faced with ketchup. or skip the eggs and serve the spam, toast, and onions with brown mustard.

Sounds good!

I also like a SPAM Burger, hamburger. Nice thick slice, seared until nice and crispy, slice of american, drag it through the garden, all on a nice Brioche roll, pretty tasty stuff!

I can't remember ever eating it, but I'm sure that I must have at one point. It seems like something my dad would have liked, he enjoyed fried bologna sandwiches too.

Back
Top Bottom