"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 03-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #51
Master Chef

I'm glad to hear SPAM culture is alive and well in Hawaii! It always cracks me up that people order "Hawaiian" pizzas that have pineapple and .... CANADIAN BACON? What is Hawaiian about Canadian bacon? A real Hawaiian pizza had SPAM on it!!!!

Old 03-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #52
Senior Cook

I know that Hawaii turned into a Spam loving state during the war. Goods were difficult to come by and the cans of Spam were easily shipped. Even to the troops. I have read alot of Spam recipes from Hawaii and would definately give them a try.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I'm glad to hear SPAM culture is alive and well in Hawaii! It always cracks me up that people order "Hawaiian" pizzas that have pineapple and .... CANADIAN BACON? What is Hawaiian about Canadian bacon? A real Hawaiian pizza had SPAM on it!!!!
Can't wait to make one, Claire!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Many a son of Abraham has eaten spam for Uncle Sam
Hinky dinky parlay voo
Old 03-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #55
Senior Cook

Spam sushi?! Now I've heard everything. ;)
Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #56
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hi Claire. I thought I'd reserect this thread to give you the latest report on Spam in Hawaii. We just returned from a vacation on Kauai (swooning) and Spam is still alive and well.
It was interesting to see that even gas station convenience stores have "Spam Rolls" (think hot Sushi hand rolls with Spam) next to their hotdogs.
They were really good !! Something about the rice and Nori going well with the super salty Spam. I actually think I'll make some at home.

Be sure to add a smear of plum sauce on it. So good!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #57
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Be sure to add a smear of plum sauce on it. So good!
oh you know how to get to me Kathleen.......I love that "sweet/salty" thing goin' on.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #58
Master Chef

Kayelle, what you are talking about (the SPAM sushi) I think is called mushubi or something like that. It was available just about everywhere in those days.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #59
Sous Chef

Quote:
Kayelle, what you are talking about (the SPAM sushi) I think is called mushubi or something like that. It was available just about everywhere in those days.

That's what our Hawaiian friends back home always called it, pronounced moo-soo-bee. I've had many a breakfast of Spam, eggs, and rice (always called "Spam 'n eggs 'n rice") with them. One friend brought it caramelized in brown sugar to a breakfast themed potluck. It was quite tasty! Spam and eggs was a classic for breakfast for the first morning of backpacking trips in my single days. You just didn't want to be the poor schmuck who got stuck packing in the eggs, JIC they didn't quite make it. I think my personal favorite though is just fried spam on white bread with miracle whip. One of about 3 things I actually like with white bread.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Yep, they used some word I'd never heard before. The rolls I saw were about as big as a hotdog with a bun........anything but "dainty", and I've never thought of hot sushi before.

Recipe: http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Spam.htm

Tags
None