"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 AM   #71
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You're on, Kathleen... And we could also watch the new Hawaii Five O.....a great show with incredible photography of Hawaii.

I had no idea Spam came in so many varieties now days. I'd love to find some of them in the stores. Check it out.
http://www.spam.com/Shop/ProductList.aspx?Category={505D2888-EF00-4C99-BDFE-4AACCF5CE0E6}
The reduced sodium one is quite tasty...I have deliberately NOT looked at the salt content. I suppose I'll have to.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:36 AM   #72
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

I had no idea Spam came in so many varieties now days. I'd love to find some of them in the stores. Check it out.
SPAM > SPAMŽ Varieties
thank you Kay for the link to the Holy Grail as an avid Spamocolic(no typo) I searched for a UK site as I had never seen such a fragrant range of Spam in the UK,I was excited when I foundOfficial UK SPAMŽ Website, Products, Recipes and the SPAMŽ Fan Club but to my sadness and disbelief as you will see the range is incomplete,I have fired off an Email of complaint to their European Ceo, a Dane Dr Hans Knees Spamodaisy, copied to the Court of Human Rights in the Hague.
All my love
Denny Crane xxxx
Ps Kay would you make an old man happy and pretend to be Shirley Schmidt.
PPs I did PM Princess Fi with the same request but her demands were incompatible with mine.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #73
Senior Cook

spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I'm with you, I like an occasional spam and Miracle Whip sandwich.

Oh, and ShellyCooks, before Spam made it to Hawaii and the Philippines during WWII by the American military, It went onto the general market in 1937 by Hormel Foods of Iowa. During the early war, it went to Europe long before it ever went to the Pacific. Just a bit of Spam history for you...

And I hope that everyone realizes that Spam is NOT leftover bits and pieces of other pork products. It is only braised pork shoulder (Boston Butt), which isn't a bad cut of meat.
Spam helped make American soldiers the best fed in history.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #74
Master Chef

Site Moderator

While I agree that Spam played a very important role in feeding not only US but also allied troops in WWII, I don't know if it really made them the best fed in history.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Speaking of WWII, my father came to visit today. He's a WWII veteran. He mentioned liking a picture that I had just got (aerial view of my property) and wanting one. I told him I would get one made for him if he gave me back something he had given me, then "borrowed". A framed display type wall hanger of his medals and such. I thought he was hanging onto it because he once told me that he had sent away for a couple ribbons or something that he no longer had. I thought he was adding them to this wall hanger and mentioned it to him.
Anyway... out of the blue he said something about having a "piece of metal" taken out of his finger when he was in the Netherlands. Something he had gotten while on an island off of France. Me being me, asked him if it was a piece of metal from a can of beef He got a chuckle from that and said something about the guy next to him getting hit in the leg and him in the finger, but he didn't know anything had stuck until later when his finger swelled way up while in the Netherlands. He got a few days of sick leave when it was taken out and was told he would receive a purple heart, which he never got.

Oh, to keep this on topic, had I known Spam was served in WWII that is what I would have said instead of beef.
And to keep this even more food related, he said the only reason he signed up for the Darby's Rangers was because he heard they got fed better, but that was B... uhh... an acronym for not exactly true
Old 03-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #76
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
B... uhh... an acronym for not exactly true
touched by your story, dog, and amused by your segue back to topic
Old 03-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #77
Head Chef

I was going through my cupboard today and found a can of Spam! I have no idea where it came from. I know I did not buy it. I have no idea how long it has been there either. Guess I better think of something to make with it. Maybe some sweet and sour meatballs. I think that is usually made with ground ham but...well... I guess spam is close.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #78
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
While I agree that Spam played a very important role in feeding not only US but also allied troops in WWII, I don't know if it really made them the best fed in history.
DSM compared to British Squaddies the GI's were better fed and payed, it in fact did cause friction in area's around camps in the UK that GI's were stationed in.
One of my first memories was a visit to see a friend of my Dads in a base near Warrington in 1955, I don't remember the lunch in the PX but I remember standing in complete disbelief at the array of chocolate in the shop, Dad told me that due to his friend and others kindness they had good food after the war before I was born, I think his friend was a Jewish Doctor who helped my Dad who had his ear drums blown out in the war. I remember the look on my Dads face when he lit up a King Edward cigar as we ate chocolate after dinner at home that night.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaZ View Post
That's very interesting. I saw the Adam Sandler movie 50 First Dates and when he was leaving he received a box of Spam - didn't get it at the time, but he was in Hawaii - now it makes sense. Everyone here (hub and son) think I'm crazy for liking it. Hub doesn't think its real meat, but son eats vienna sausages and potted meat, so what's in that?
So will they eat a picnic shoulder? (Smoked shoulders to New Englanders) That is what SPAM is. Packaged and chopped picnic shoulder with natural gelatin juices.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #80
Executive Chef

As long as we've revived this probably better off dead topic, please tell me, do any DC members actually enjoy Spam?

Tags
None