Spam - the kind you eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fried spam with scrambled eggs and white rice, all tossed together kinda like fried rice is good

Fried spam with scrambled eggs and white rice, all tossed together kinda like fried rice is good

Sounds good and welcome to DC. You joined us with a great idea. You will find us to be a little bit squirrely, strange sense of humor at times, caring, compassionate, and just plain fun. :chef:

Oh Claire, I hope you come across it and share! I enjoy Haiku almost as much as I enjoy limericks.

As long as we've revived this probably better off dead topic, please tell me, do any DC members actually enjoy Spam?

Spam sushi of sorts. A thin slice of fried spam with plum sauce on rice wrapped in seaweed. It's better than it sounds. Also, spam quiche! We use to eat it in college. Also better than it sounds. Spam with yellow mustard sandwiches....it's just like it sounds but I liked it anyway.

I'd almost forgotten that! It's awesome, so thanks for the reminder. And welcome to DC!

I think I dislike the idea of such a fatty product more than the actual taste of Spam. In fact I might take some camping on my next trip, because it's ideal for that: meat that doesn't need refrigeration. I'm not too fond of canned chicken, turkey or tuna. Spam would probably be good sliced and cooked in a skillet where you would end up with actual meat pieces rather than sort of goulash-y like the other canned stuff. (I once bought a whole canned chicken for camping and it was dreadful!)

Here's the classic recipe I mentioned earlier in the topic, compiled from several I've found on the Internet and as near as I can remember it's the one I cooked right off the suggested recipe on the can:

Ham-Style Baked Spam

12 oz. can Spam
1 T. whole cloves
1/3 C. brown sugar (packed measure)
1 t. water
1 t. prepared mustard
1/2 t. to 1 t. vinegar

Put Spam on rack in shallow pan or casserole dish. Score the surface diagonally in a cross hatch pattern, then poke the cloves in where the hatches cross.

Mix the remaining ingredients into a paste and smear over the surface of the Spam loaf. Bake in 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until browned.

Serve sliced. Pretend you're eating baked ham. :)

I hope somebody will cook this and report back.

There's a can of Spam in my hurricane emergency food stash. I'll bet it's pretty darn good if you're hungry enough. Just hope I don't find out any time soon. Also some canned chicken; maybe I'll eat the Spam first. :ermm:

There's a can of Spam in my hurricane emergency food stash. I'll bet it's pretty darn good if you're hungry enough. Just hope I don't find out any time soon. Also some canned chicken; maybe I'll eat the Spam first. :ermm:

Canned chicken is the ideal product to throw at the feral dogs that might chase you on trips through the Southwestern Florida "outback", or the gators. Either way, here's hopin' it tastes better to them than you do.:LOL:

Up here in Great Lakes country, I'd throw it to wild bears and cougars, or maybe some hungry cayotes that would be chasing me. Hustle, hustle, hustle.:ohmy::ROFLMAO:

P.S. It's also great for calming rampaging ogres and ogresses (duck and run very fast).:LOL::LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Canned chicken is the ideal product to throw at the feral dogs that might chase you on trips through the Southwestern Florida "outback", or the gators. Either way, here's hopin' it tastes better to them than you do.:LOL:

Up here in Great Lakes country, I'd throw it to wild bears and cougars, or maybe some hungry cayotes that would be chasing me. Hustle, hustle, hustle.:ohmy::ROFLMAO:

P.S. It's also great for calming rampaging ogres and ogresses (duck and run very fast).:LOL::LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Looks like whoever eats what up in GL country it will have to be dug out of a snowbank first.

Husband talks about having some really bad rations in Vietnam. Bad enough that no matter how hungry, he wouldn't eat them. So he threw them out for a scrawny feral dog. The darned dog rejected them.

Oh, there is an entire SPAM haiku web site! I had the hard copy for years in my desk, and cleaned it out so don't have it any more. But just look up SPAM haiku. You'll love it.

I was once a Spam hater...then I had Spam Musubi and I saw the light.

Grill a 1/4 inch slab
Put it on a square of sushi rice (use an extra large nigiri rice mold)
Drizzle it with teriyaki sauce
Wrap it in a strip of nori
Eat your spam sushi

It will "spin ya bebadeeze" as my husband would say. Just beware because one 1/4 inch piece of spam has all the sodium you need for one whole day! Wow.

There's a modestly successful fast-food chain called "Ono" mostly throughout California that serves Hawaiian lunch plates. They have spam musubi on the menu as side order. So, it's as legit a food as say, McDonald french fries.

Back
Top Bottom