Spam - the kind you eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaZ

Senior Cook
Does anyone besides me think Spam is a food? I fry the Spam, put it on colby cheese, then grill the whole thing. I have a wonderful stringy grilled cheese and Spam sammich. How do you cook your Spam? :chef:

I don't use it very often, but it makes really good hash, believe it or not. Very simple with diced onion, carrot, bell pepper and potato, and fried crisp. Lowrd knows there's enough fat in the spam to do the job. My late husband loved it to use for breakfast with eggs on top.

I had some Spam several years ago. One of my buddies said how good it was fried and with mayo on a sandwich, so I gave it a shot. It was OK. I finished the can anyway.
Now fried ring bologna... mmmm :chef:

I always have a couple of cans around. I was really excited to see the Low Sodium Spam. You jusr never know when it's time for Spam hash.

I like to put it through a meat grinder or food processor with a few sweet pickles, then stir in just enough Miracle Whip to moisten it. One of the best sandwich spreads around! I'm not a huge Spam fan, but James and I love it that way.

:)Barbara

Lived in Hawaii on and off for a decade. Spam was a staple, everyone (but us) loved it. Spam sushi (not kidding), spam/pineapple kabobs. Spam on noodles. Spam with scrambled eggs everywhere (not kidding, even at McD's). Spam everywhere. And I do mean everywhere. I threw a party here and made it a Hawaii themed party, and friends were absolutely amazed that spam was featured! No one who has ever lived in Hawaii would think of having a party without Spam. When we moved to the mainland, we visited Austin, MN. We were having a drink at a local thirst parlor, and the gal who was our bartender joked about it. She thought that the local teachers were lying or exaggerating or something when they told the kids that the local product, SPAM, was a huge hit in Hawaii. Jer and I joked, and had a good time about it. No, it really was (don't know if it still is) very, very popular in Hawaii when we lived there (in the 80s). I don't think we ever went anywhere there wasn't a spam dish.

I use it in fried rice occasionally. I like to give it a dip in soy sauce, then sprinkle on some garlic, ginger, onion powder and fry it a little before I add it to the fried rice.

I used it in fried rice a while back. It was Jasmine Rice, garlic, egg, Oyster Sauce, pineapple, green onion tops and spam

Attachments

• hawaiianstirfry.jpg
    hawaiianstirfry.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 303
Years ago I entered a local competition for Spam Innovation I won with Spaminbocca. I got good comments about my Spammer Schnitzel and Spam Wellington, my Frito Misto de Spam(I used seafood cooky cutters) is a legend:)

LOL Eating with you would be fun, Bolas. =) Even if I refuse to eat meat (byproducts) out of can ... srsly? from a can??!1? ... at least I know I'd be wildly entertained by you and your shenanigans!

Lived in Hawaii on and off for a decade. Spam was a staple, everyone (but us) loved it. Spam sushi (not kidding), spam/pineapple kabobs. Spam on noodles. Spam with scrambled eggs everywhere (not kidding, even at McD's). Spam everywhere. And I do mean everywhere. I threw a party here and made it a Hawaii themed party, and friends were absolutely amazed that spam was featured! No one who has ever lived in Hawaii would think of having a party without Spam. When we moved to the mainland, we visited Austin, MN. We were having a drink at a local thirst parlor, and the gal who was our bartender joked about it. She thought that the local teachers were lying or exaggerating or something when they told the kids that the local product, SPAM, was a huge hit in Hawaii. Jer and I joked, and had a good time about it. No, it really was (don't know if it still is) very, very popular in Hawaii when we lived there (in the 80s). I don't think we ever went anywhere there wasn't a spam dish.

That's very interesting. I saw the Adam Sandler movie 50 First Dates and when he was leaving he received a box of Spam - didn't get it at the time, but he was in Hawaii - now it makes sense. Everyone here (hub and son) think I'm crazy for liking it. Hub doesn't think its real meat, but son eats vienna sausages and potted meat, so what's in that? :huh:

Canned Vienna sausages were also very popular in Hawaii. People I know (who haven't lived there) don't even know that a real Hawaiian pizza does NOT have Canadian bacon on it. You got it, pineapple and SPAM.

It is a taste developed (for both canned meats) when refrigeration was more rudimentary than it is now, and it has since become part of the culture.

Spam is real meat, pork to be exact. It is cut up with pork fat, seasoned with too much salt, a little smoke flavoring, and sodium nitrites. It is pressed into a can, sealed, and cooked in the can. It was developed as a way to easily provide meat to soldiers in one of the world wars, I don't remember which. If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a Spam processing plant in Hawaii?

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

No.....thank.....you.

Had it too much as a kid and never liked it then. Nor the jelly it was packed in.

Back
Top Bottom