Spicy Homemade Breakfast Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cajun Cook

Senior Cook
This is really good. (At least we think so) I don't even bother buying commercial brands anymore. This sausage makes great gravy for your biscuits.

Spicy Homemade Breakfast Sausage

Sausage.jpg

Makes 1+ pound bulk sausage

[SIZE=+0]Ingredients: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
  • 1 Pound of ground pork
  • 1 Teaspoon of salt
  • 1/2 Teaspoon of cayenne
  • 1/4 Teaspoon of rubed sage
  • 1/4 Teaspoon of black pepper
  • 1/4 Teaspoon of crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 Teaspoon of coriander
  • 1/4 Teaspoon of MSG
[/SIZE]
Directions:
[SIZE=+0]Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well with your hands. Set in the refrigerator overnight to let the flavors combine. Form the sausage into small patties and fry. [/SIZE]

A Little About MSG:
MSG, or Monosodium Glutamate is a salt of the amino acid "Glutamic Acid". It is available both in natural form as well as artificially manufactured form. In a nutshell, it's main application in commercial food production is to trick the brain into thinking that the food tastes better than what it actually does. According to some MSG opponents the glutamate added to foods is "bad" and naturally occuring glutamate in our bodies is "good". MSG sellers argue that MSG is exactly like the glutamate in the human body, therefore it must all be "good". It has been shown that some people do have allergic reactions to MSG so it is your decision on whether or not to use it in this recipe. I would like to add however that almost all food purchased at your local grocery store has MSG added to it so if you haven't had a reaction yet, chances are it will not be a problem now.

These sound delicious. I will be making them today to fry up tomorrow. I also love the blurb about MSG.

I will let ya know when I cook them up in a short while. I mixed them up last night and now I am just waiting to wake up enough to cook.

MSG is never a necessary ingredient. I can say that I am happy I used it in this recipe, but the sausages would still be delicious without it.

Hey GB,

I agree with you that it isn't really a necessary ingredient. It is more of a personal preference thing. If someone feels better about not using it then by all means. I have eaten a good deal of chinese food in my lifetime with no ill effect and that cuisine is notorious for having MSG in it. I figured I would put the extra info in there so people could make a better decision on the matter. I think in the next batch I will leave it out just to see if it makes any difference. Since MSG is a kind of salt itself, I may just increase the table salt amount. Thanx again.

Jim

People would be amazed at the foods they already eat that have MSG in them. A lot of people think they have an MSG allergy and while a very small number of people really do, the rest do not. It is all in their heads. I am not accusing anyone in particular of this as I would have no way of knowing, but I know that I used to be one of the people who thought I had a reaction to it. I really did get headaches when I ate it or thought I ate it. It really was all in my head though. The body really can trick you.

Most people reading this message right now have consummed MSG in the past week without even knowing it.

I was only asking as it is a salt of sorts, but if the recipe works without it I would just assume not to add it.

I agree people who eat out get a fair dose of msg. I eat at home about 99.9% of the time during the year and hot dogs give me a head ache anymore. Maybe I need to toughen up to these preservatives. :)

Yep it will definitely work without it. i would add a touch more regular salt to compensate maybe.

Recipe is great because it leaves open the opportunity to tinker with the sodium level even if on average the ingredients may cost as much to make as Jones' sausage costs when it's on sale. On the other hand if the pork is ground at home that opens other possibilities. What might be a good mix for home ground pork?

Hey Bknox,

Sorry it has been awhile since I have been on here. I am not sure if the MSG is a big part of it but I would think it would be. From what I know about MSG, it kinda fools the brain into thinking that something tastes better than what it actually does. Please let me know if you try it without it.

Jim

Is MSG necessary in the recipe or is a fairly big part of the overall flavor? Have you made it without?

The recipe sounds great and if I make it fresh I would like to leave out the MSG as long as it doesn't effect the overall flavor.

MSG does not really fool the brain. MSG does the same thing salt does to food. It enhances it by bringing out the flavors. MSG is a great ingredient that has gotten a very bad and undeserved rap.

That being said, I do not think there is any recipe where MSG is necessary. You can certainly leave it out and not affect the overall recipe that much. If it is a good recipe to begin with (and these sausages sure are) then MSG will not make or break it. I might just use a touch more salt if leaving out the MSG, but that is not necessary either.

Hey GB, I had always heard that MSG manipulates the brain chemistry but that might have been propaganda from the tofu fartin earth muffins I use to hang around with in my 20's.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom