"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 07-18-2015, 11:21 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
So, I tried it. I cut some very thick chops from the pork loin. I made a small hole and stuffed the Jarlsberg, wrapped in the Black Forest ham into the chops. That was NOT easy. One of the chops was a bit thinner on one side. When I tried stuffing it, I made a hole, so I butterflied it and rolled it around the cheese and ham. I browned the two chops and the roulade. Then I put them in the toaster oven at 350F. All the recipes said 45 minutes to an hour in the oven. I checked the temperature of the meat after 20 minutes and it was 180F! They were very dry. The roulade was less dry.

Next time I will know to check sooner and I will probably do them as roulades. I wanted to grill them, but we ran out of propane.

I might take Kayelle's suggestion of brining them too.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:06 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
So, I tried it. I cut some very thick chops from the pork loin. I made a small hole and stuffed the Jarlsberg, wrapped in the Black Forest ham into the chops. That was NOT easy. One of the chops was a bit thinner on one side. When I tried stuffing it, I made a hole, so I butterflied it and rolled it around the cheese and ham. I browned the two chops and the roulade. Then I put them in the toaster oven at 350F. All the recipes said 45 minutes to an hour in the oven. I checked the temperature of the meat after 20 minutes and it was 180F! They were very dry. The roulade was less dry.

Next time I will know to check sooner and I will probably do them as roulades. I wanted to grill them, but we ran out of propane.

I might take Kayelle's suggestion of brining them too.

I think you'll find that brining them will make all the difference in the world Taxi. Just rinse the brine off the meat, and don't over cook them. Pig just isn't the same as we grew up with and it takes a new mind set to deal with it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:23 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Taxy, I'm wondering if the pocket wasn't big enough. From what I've seen, the cook sticks a knife into the chop, wiggles it around, and it probably opens up a half a chop. It's almost butterflied, but not quite.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:34 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Taxy, I'm wondering if the pocket wasn't big enough. From what I've seen, the cook sticks a knife into the chop, wiggles it around, and it probably opens up a half a chop. It's almost butterflied, but not quite.
I'm pretty sure the pocket was big enough. I did wiggle the knife and then I stuck my finger in to see how far it went and worked on it some more where it hadn't gotten far enough. I got it to less than half an inch from the edges.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:37 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I think you'll find that brining them will make all the difference in the world Taxi. Just rinse the brine off the meat, and don't over cook them. Pig just isn't the same as we grew up with and it takes a new mind set to deal with it.
Definitely will cook it less next time. I just don't expect four or five recipes to say 45-60 minutes in the oven, when it should have been 10-15 minutes.

Actually, next time I'll probably skip the oven and just turn the heat down under the frying pan, maybe put a lid on it.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:50 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Aha! Too long cooking! This makes sense.

Live and learn.

Tags
pork, recipe

Stuffed pork chops, questions I plan to make some stuffed pork chops with some of that entire pork loin I bought at Costco. I have never done this, but I did read through the topics here about stuffed pork chops. I plan to stuff with sliced Jarlsberg cheese and sliced Black Forest ham. All the recipes I find for "cordon bleu pork chops" say to bread the chops. Is that necessary / important? I really don't want to bother with breading this time. How well would this work on the grill? I was thinking brown them, then turn down the heat to finish them. I have a gas grill. Any tips and tricks to make this easier or better? 3 stars 1 reviews