"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 10-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I was reading a Sunday gravy recipe today. It called for bone in country style pork ribs, flank steak, hot Italian sausage and sweet Italian sausage. I found it on Pinterest by accident. I saved it because it sounds so good. I wonder if Sunday gravy was born because by Sunday there were odds and ends of several kinds of meat leftover and any frugal Italian cook would want to use them to create a meal....

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Old 10-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
I was reading a Sunday gravy recipe today. It called for bone in country style pork ribs, flank steak, hot Italian sausage and sweet Italian sausage. I found it on Pinterest by accident. I saved it because it sounds so good. I wonder if Sunday gravy was born because by Sunday there were odds and ends of several kinds of meat leftover and any frugal Italian cook would want to use them to create a meal....

Sunday gravy/ragu is a rich tomato sauce with meats. No rules about which meats must be/cannot be included.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:

Sounds more than logical to me Bunny, and I bet you're right.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
... I wonder if Sunday gravy was born because by Sunday there were odds and ends of several kinds of meat leftover and any frugal Italian cook would want to use them to create a meal...
That's a possibility but it may have also been created as a good inexpensive meal to feed a house full of relatives on Sunday after church.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:47 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

it was both, from my understanding. and italian americans are frugal if they are anything.

some of the meats were bought just for the gravy, and other meals from the week were planned so they would have a bit leftover for the gravy.

as andy said, you needed to feed the horde of relatives that traditionally visited after mass on any given sunday (hence the name), so stretching out a pot o' gravy was a plus.

anyone ever hear of an italian football wedding? now, that's real old-school italian american.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:52 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
oh, yes. meataballs need to be baked or pan fried so they get a crust, both for flavour and structural integrity.

some people plop raw meatballs into the sauce, but that's gross imo.
I have found that raw meatballs don't hold up in the gravy. I have also seen some folks put their raw pasta in the gravy to cook there. What are they thinking?

I can still see my girlfriend Maria's nonni standing at the stove with her big wooded spoon stirring that pot. She always had her full cover apron with the pocket on. I can almost smell the Sunday Gravy cooking.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:57 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
it was both, from my understanding. and italian americans are frugal if they are anything.

some of the meats were bought just for the gravy, and other meals from the week were planned so they would have a bit leftover for the gravy.

as andy said, you needed to feed the horde of relatives that traditionally visited after mass on any given sunday (hence the name), so stretching out a pot o' gravy was a plus.

anyone ever hear of an italian football wedding? now, that's real old-school italian american.
The cook of the family Sunday meal always went to 6 a.m. Mass so they could be home to get the Sunday meal ready. The rest of the family went to a later Mass. Children's Mass was always at 9 a.m.

Tags
italian, other, pork, ragu