Sweet and Sour Pork... Asian Secret?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

winston2020

Assistant Cook
Well, you see, I love sweet and sour pork. And all the Asian restaurants I've ever been to all seem to have, more or less, the same recipe for it. One that has thus eluded me.
I've tried to make my own with various recipies I've found in books, and online, but it never tastes the way they make it.
I think maybe they all buy the same brand of sweet and sour sauce or something? Is there anyone who happens to know what I'm talking about, or even better have a recipe that may be what I'm looking for?

They should be making their own S&S sauce!!!

For starters, is your S&S pork just the meat in sauce or is it battered first? Do you think it is the sauce that is the difference or could it be in the pork part?

While I am not a big fan of S&S Pork, I can say that I have had it in various ways, same with the chicken and the sauces have varied in consistency and colour, not to mention some are just plain sauce and others still have the sauce in them.

I have the same problem with all my chinese recipes. Every time I make chinese food, It tastes good, but tastes more like Im trying to make chinese food, then exactly what Ive had in the chinese restaurant itself. Im always trying to go to the take out place, where the kitchen and cooks are visible, and try to see what they are using, but no luck. And I know its in the sauce, because Ive pretty much nailed all the other ingredients. So, Im going with you, that maybe there is some ' Asian secret' that we just dont know about. Anyway, hopefully someone comes along and enlightens us.

larry

Sesame oil, sesame seeds, 5-spice powder, ginger, and garlic play prominant roles in many Chinese recipes. For S&S pork, I would use a combination of onion, 5-spice, soy sauce, ginger, corn syrup, or white sugar, and rice-sine venager to flavor the S&S sauce. Start of course with pork broth. Purchase the pork bone-in. Roast and then cut the pork from the bones and fat. Place the bones and fat into a pot, cover with water, and turn into broth.

The pork should probably be roasted with a honey/sesame oil/soy sauce glaze to an internal temp of 190 in a slow oven. This is then cut into very thin, bite-sized strips. Veggies may include steamed cauliflower/broccoli, bias-sliced carrot, snow peas, bean sprouts, and onion.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom