"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 02-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
Executive Chef

When we tried sausage a couple times we used our KA mixer and attachment.
We used the grinding attachment and the stuffing attachment.

Some time back I questioned how my sausage came out. It had a different texture than store bought.
There was some kind of emulsion I was told to use. It supposedly gives the sausage a more creamy texture. I cannot remember and would not try and make it again without it.
You could buy it (the emulsion) online at sausage making web sites too. What the purpose of the water?

Looks good Rock.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
When we tried sausage a couple times we used our KA mixer and attachment.
We used the grinding attachment and the stuffing attachment.

Some time back I questioned how my sausage came out. It had a different texture than store bought.
There was some kind of emulsion I was told to use. It supposedly gives the sausage a more creamy texture. I cannot remember and would not try and make it again without it.
You could buy it (the emulsion) online at sausage making web sites too. What the purpose of the water?

Looks good Rock.
I have worked with binders and soy products before but I prefer to keep my sausages for home old fashioned....
The water helps with a few things. It mixes with the spices and helps them get into the meat more, it also adds lubrication so the meat is easier to work with and pass through the horn and casings, and it adds more moisture to the sausage when you go to cook and eat it....

Old 02-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Just buy some regular ground pork and play around with that...
As a rule, I go a scant tsp of kosher salt per lb. I used sea salt with this recent recipe and felt it was too salty so I am going to use Kosher exclusively. The rest is up to you....

Here is a good page to start. I have had success with a few recipes on here...(scroll down a bit) most of these recipes are for 5 lbs of pork, but you can adjust everything to make a smaller batch...
Homemade Sausage Making Recipes from TheSpicySausage.com

I'd like to duplicate/improve on the breakfast sausage we buy (Jones). Doesn't breakfast sausage use a higher % of fat than you'd see in ground pork?
Old 02-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'd like to duplicate/improve on the breakfast sausage we buy (Jones). Doesn't breakfast sausage use a higher % of fat than you'd see in ground pork?
Yes. I know a few butchers who throw pork fat out every day. They can't use it all up. Even where I work we trim the pork butts for smoking and end up with way too much. I freeze some of it, but end up throwing lots out. It could be the same in your region. If you check around you may get some custom ground. They would know what ratio you need...
Old 02-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't know if ground pork in your area comes in different percentages of fat, I buy "regular ground pork". Stay away from lean - you end up with unpleasantly dry sausages.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Roch, where do you buy pork fat?
Old 02-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I get it free from work. Independent Grocery chain still has meat cutters. They have given it to me for free before. Sometimes they have to put a monetary figure on it so I have paid a buck for 5 lbs also. Then I divide it up and freeze it. It depends on who you ask, I guess.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I get it free from work. Independent Grocery chain still has meat cutters. They have given it to me for free before. Sometimes they have to put a monetary figure on it so I have paid a buck for 5 lbs also. Then I divide it up and freeze it. It depends on who you ask, I guess.
Thanks. So, ask the butcher.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thanks. So, ask the butcher.
Basically, yes. Like I said, though, you shouldn't have to pay much and some will even give it away.....they call it back fat. I have bought two whole loins before when on sale for about 12 bucks each. I totally trimmed and cleaned one for chops and used that fat with the other one to grind up for sausage. It worked out perfect. Just check for ones with a big fat cap and you may have enough...They are on this week at food basics for 1.44.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Just finished making some country sausage. Pork loin was on sale for 1.44 so I bought an 8 lb piece, and had some 2 lb packs of fat in the freezer. By my calculations we are at about 25% fat. We like a chewy sausage so we used a larger plate for a coarse grind and stuffed them into collagen casings.
We wanted a milder flavor, so we started out just going with Sage and the other ingredients but after a taste test we upped the sage and added thyme to the meat. It turned out much better.
With 4 adult kids between us we will give them each around 2 lbs and have a couple left over for us. It's pancakes and sausage for supper tonight....yipeeee!
Country Breakfast Sausage

10 lbs pork(around 20-25% fat)
8 tsp sea salt
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 1/2 Tbsp Sage
2 tsp Thyme
1/2 cup cold water
+1 That's on my to do list this week as well (we must shop at the same store <g>).

Tags
breakfast, fast, sage, sausage