"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 02-25-2014, 01:14 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Just finished making some country sausage.

That is one beautiful mountain of meat Rock!

My Mom made homemade sausage, both country and fresh kielbasa. Had the grinder attachments for her Oster Kitchen Center. I've used it to grind beef for hamburgers but haven't made an attempt at sausage yet. I'd probably do patties just 'cuz I'm lazy slow.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Rock - my dad made sausage years ago, when I had to run the hand grinder and hated it. Fast forward 50 years and I miss it. I saw a show on ATK a few months back that tested store bought sausages. One of their tests showed that uncooked, even frozen sausage, developed flavors over time due to the high fat level. They found that the best way to keep sausage what to cook them first and then freeze. Have you seen this?

Hal

Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
When we tried sausage a couple times we used our KA mixer and attachment.
We used the grinding attachment and the stuffing attachment.

Some time back I questioned how my sausage came out. It had a different texture than store bought.
There was some kind of emulsion I was told to use. It supposedly gives the sausage a more creamy texture. I cannot remember and would not try and make it again without it.
You could buy it (the emulsion) online at sausage making web sites too. What the purpose of the water?

Looks good Rock.
After the final grind and hand mixing the ingredients, use the paddle attachment and mix on medium-high for a couple minutes. Add a few TBSP of ice cold water as it mixes. This will give you a more homogenous mixture and the texture you want. Depending on how much sausage you are making, it might be necessary to do this in batches. You can also get after-market dies which work much better than the originals, IMO.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
Rock - my dad made sausage years ago, when I had to run the hand grinder and hated it. Fast forward 50 years and I miss it. I saw a show on ATK a few months back that tested store bought sausages. One of their tests showed that uncooked, even frozen sausage, developed flavors over time due to the high fat level. They found that the best way to keep sausage what to cook them first and then freeze. Have you seen this?

Hal
No. I never did see it. Thanks for the tip, though. I will give it a try next time. I normally lay them out in a single layer on some trays and freeze them. Then I wrap them in tight packages of two(I did packages of six for these smaller ones) before bagging them again and storing them deep in the freezer where they don't get moved around much.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post

Hal
That reminds me of the Swift Premium Brown 'n Serves sausages.Those were the best tasting mass produced sausages I ever tasted. They were sold frozen. They quit selling them here in the late '80s or early '90s. I wonder if it was because they cost more per pound than uncooked sausages. It worked out to about the same price cooked.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #26
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If I had the money, space and energy, I'd do it right but...
I make it without a sausage stuffer and it works fine. I used to have one I inherited from my dad, but it died several years ago and I never replaced it.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I make it without a sausage stuffer and it works fine. I used to have one I inherited from my dad, but it died several years ago and I never replaced it.
So, are you making patties or somehow stuffing casings by hand?
Old 02-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #28
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
So, are you making patties or somehow stuffing casings by hand?
Usually I make either patties, or just leave the meat loose - for example, to use on pizza or in pasta sauces. Or if I'm grilling it to serve in a bun, I just form the meat around a wooden skewer.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Usually I make either patties, or just leave the meat loose - for example, to use on pizza or in pasta sauces. Or if I'm grilling it to serve in a bun, I just form the meat around a wooden skewer.

So you make an Italian type sausage rather than breakfast sausage.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:57 AM   #30
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
So you make an Italian type sausage rather than breakfast sausage.
That's one type of sausage I make. After trying several recipes, I've been using the one below for Italian sausage. It's really a good recipe.

How to Make Homemade Sausage | Simply Recipes

Also, there are quite a few interesting recipes on this website for other types of sausage. Although most of the recipes make 5 lb batches, I usually just scale it down to a pound. Keep in mind that, even though it says otherwise, most of them don't really require casings if you don't want to use them.

Homemade Sausage Making Recipes from TheSpicySausage.com

Tags
breakfast, fast, sage, sausage