Ten Pounds of Breakfast Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Just finished making some country sausage. Pork loin was on sale for 1.44 so I bought an 8 lb piece, and had some 2 lb packs of fat in the freezer. By my calculations we are at about 25% fat. We like a chewy sausage so we used a larger plate for a coarse grind and stuffed them into collagen casings.
We wanted a milder flavor, so we started out just going with Sage and the other ingredients but after a taste test we upped the sage and added thyme to the meat. It turned out much better.
With 4 adult kids between us we will give them each around 2 lbs and have a couple left over for us. It's pancakes and sausage for supper tonight....yipeeee!
Country Breakfast Sausage

10 lbs pork(around 20-25% fat)
8 tsp sea salt
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 1/2 Tbsp Sage
2 tsp Thyme
1/2 cup cold water

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 597
Last edited:
Ten Pounds of Breakfast Sausage

Ok, you got my attention. :mrgreen:

I think it is about time to make more. Last time we ended up with too much thyme in it.

Less thyme and more red pepper this time I think.

What kind of stuffer do you have?

Making my own sausage is on my bucket list. I could try breakfast sausage patties without the equipment expense.

Ok, you got my attention. :mrgreen:

I think it is about time to make more. Last time we ended up with too much thyme in it.

Less thyme and more red pepper this time I think.

What kind of stuffer do you have?
I take the blade out and use a horn that attaches to the grinder. I bought it separately and it doesn't fit just right so I have to Jerry rig it a bit.

Making my own sausage is on my bucket list. I could try breakfast sausage patties without the equipment expense.
That's what I do.

I also make Italian sausage without casings. There are so many recipes that have you taking the meat out of the casing that it's very handy. Sometimes I fry up "little cigars" for ABTs.

Patties are great. I used to make them all the time until I found my old grinder at a yard sale.... casings aren't cheap either, but we give most of the sausages away so I like to make them look a bit more professional....and it is fun to do. You need two people to do a decent, efficient job, though....

GF worked in a meat department for years, and so do I , so it comes a bit more natural for us, I guess....

Last edited:
If I had the money, space and energy, I'd do it right but...
Just buy some regular ground pork and play around with that...
As a rule, I go a scant tsp of kosher salt per lb. I used sea salt with this recent recipe and felt it was too salty so I am going to use Kosher exclusively. The rest is up to you....

Here is a good page to start. I have had success with a few recipes on here...(scroll down a bit) most of these recipes are for 5 lbs of pork, but you can adjust everything to make a smaller batch...
http://thespicysausage.com/sausagemakingrecipes.htm

Last edited:
When we tried sausage a couple times we used our KA mixer and attachment.
We used the grinding attachment and the stuffing attachment.

Some time back I questioned how my sausage came out. It had a different texture than store bought.
There was some kind of emulsion I was told to use. It supposedly gives the sausage a more creamy texture. I cannot remember and would not try and make it again without it.
You could buy it (the emulsion) online at sausage making web sites too. What the purpose of the water?

Looks good Rock.

Last edited:
When we tried sausage a couple times we used our KA mixer and attachment.
We used the grinding attachment and the stuffing attachment.

Some time back I questioned how my sausage came out. It had a different texture than store bought.
There was some kind of emulsion I was told to use. It supposedly gives the sausage a more creamy texture. I cannot remember and would not try and make it again without it.
You could buy it (the emulsion) online at sausage making web sites too. What the purpose of the water?

Looks good Rock.

I have worked with binders and soy products before but I prefer to keep my sausages for home old fashioned....
The water helps with a few things. It mixes with the spices and helps them get into the meat more, it also adds lubrication so the meat is easier to work with and pass through the horn and casings, and it adds more moisture to the sausage when you go to cook and eat it....

Last edited:
Just buy some regular ground pork and play around with that...
As a rule, I go a scant tsp of kosher salt per lb. I used sea salt with this recent recipe and felt it was too salty so I am going to use Kosher exclusively. The rest is up to you....

Here is a good page to start. I have had success with a few recipes on here...(scroll down a bit) most of these recipes are for 5 lbs of pork, but you can adjust everything to make a smaller batch...
Homemade Sausage Making Recipes from TheSpicySausage.com

I'd like to duplicate/improve on the breakfast sausage we buy (Jones). Doesn't breakfast sausage use a higher % of fat than you'd see in ground pork?

I'd like to duplicate/improve on the breakfast sausage we buy (Jones). Doesn't breakfast sausage use a higher % of fat than you'd see in ground pork?
Yes. I know a few butchers who throw pork fat out every day. They can't use it all up. Even where I work we trim the pork butts for smoking and end up with way too much. I freeze some of it, but end up throwing lots out. It could be the same in your region. If you check around you may get some custom ground. They would know what ratio you need...

Last edited:
I don't know if ground pork in your area comes in different percentages of fat, I buy "regular ground pork". Stay away from lean - you end up with unpleasantly dry sausages.

I get it free from work. Independent Grocery chain still has meat cutters. They have given it to me for free before. Sometimes they have to put a monetary figure on it so I have paid a buck for 5 lbs also. Then I divide it up and freeze it. It depends on who you ask, I guess.

Last edited:
I get it free from work. Independent Grocery chain still has meat cutters. They have given it to me for free before. Sometimes they have to put a monetary figure on it so I have paid a buck for 5 lbs also. Then I divide it up and freeze it. It depends on who you ask, I guess.
Thanks. So, ask the butcher. :LOL:

Thanks. So, ask the butcher. :LOL:
Basically, yes.;) Like I said, though, you shouldn't have to pay much and some will even give it away.....they call it back fat. I have bought two whole loins before when on sale for about 12 bucks each. I totally trimmed and cleaned one for chops and used that fat with the other one to grind up for sausage. It worked out perfect. Just check for ones with a big fat cap and you may have enough...They are on this week at food basics for 1.44.

Just finished making some country sausage. Pork loin was on sale for 1.44 so I bought an 8 lb piece, and had some 2 lb packs of fat in the freezer. By my calculations we are at about 25% fat. We like a chewy sausage so we used a larger plate for a coarse grind and stuffed them into collagen casings.
We wanted a milder flavor, so we started out just going with Sage and the other ingredients but after a taste test we upped the sage and added thyme to the meat. It turned out much better.
With 4 adult kids between us we will give them each around 2 lbs and have a couple left over for us. It's pancakes and sausage for supper tonight....yipeeee!
Country Breakfast Sausage

10 lbs pork(around 20-25% fat)
8 tsp sea salt
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 1/2 Tbsp Sage
2 tsp Thyme
1/2 cup cold water
+1 That's on my to do list this week as well (we must shop at the same store <g>).

Back
Top Bottom