Tenderizing Thickness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
My son bought a meat tenderizer it's a Sportsman cast iron clamp onto the table type.

I need to get a whole roll of pork tenderloin done today.

It says it can take up to 1/2in" thick slices.
That seems to me to be a bit thick for the purposes that the chops will be used for.Tonkatsu mostly.

Should I slice them into 1/4" pieces instead?
On a learning curve here.

Pork tenderloin is pretty tender already. Does it really need this treatment?

To make Tonkatsu, yes it does need the treatment.
The pork needs to be tenderized.Doing it by hand was becoming too hard for me to do.Waiting 2 weeks for an order from the butcher is becoming a hassle.

Knew I forgot to mention something.:blink:
He's also going to be using it as a tenderizer for beef as well for when he makes his beef jerky.

I had to ask my friend the Google what tonkatsu was. Never heard of it. Was also perplexed as pork tenderloin is already tender.

That is different from the recipe I use. Do you mind sharing yours, Munky?

Only if you post yours first GG. :ROFLMAO:

Just kidding.What I usually do is have the butcher cut up a roll for me.
I've never been told how thick he slices it.He tenderizes it for me if he has the time to do so.Today he doesn't.Don't call the man.They are swamped.

I've always had them tenderized so that they are uniform in size so that they can all cook at the same time.

I've never tenderized pork tenderloin. I just sliced it and gently pounded it thin. On the other hand, I would get a little more aggressive with pork loin. I use a hand held tenderizer and hammer the meat to flatten/tenderize it.

Munky,
I have the same tenderizer , You don't want to cut it
any thiner than 1/2 inch it tears if you get it to thin. It
gets thinner as you tenderize it.
I have done pork and beef, works great.It tears chicken
so I don't use it for chicken .

Josie

I've never tenderized pork tenderloin. I just sliced it and gently pounded it thin. On the other hand, I would get a little more aggressive with pork loin. I use a hand held tenderizer and hammer the meat to flatten/tenderize it.

Andy and his pork loin. :bash:

:whistling

Good luck and have fun with that new toy, Munky.

I had to ask my friend the Google what tonkatsu was. Never heard of it. Was also perplexed as pork tenderloin is already tender.
I looked it up too. My first thought was "the Japanese came up with the Indians pork tenderloin sandwich first???" :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom