The Bacon Wave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure that's what Frank meant to say :LOL:

And around here we spell diner dinor. Don't ask me why :wacko:
I guess to differentiate between the person and the building.

I'm not that far from you, but we spell it diner down here in Picksburgh.

I don't like bacon very much, mostly because it's too salty. I know that is blasphemy on this board, but that's how it is. If I do eat it, I want it crispy. I do like a BLT, but it has other things on it that reduce the salty taste.

I like my bacon crispy. We had some sort of device for microwaving bacon but, like others have mentioned, the micro got all splattered with the grease. Then I found the joy of nuking between paper towels. Crisped the way we like it, no mess - perfect. However, if I need the drippings for something I have been known to fry it out.

...I don't like bacon very much, mostly because it's too salty. I know that is blasphemy on this board, but that's how it is...

That's OK Carol, it just leaves more for us bacon lovers. :yum: Now if you want to take away our bacon, THEN you'd be in trouble!

I don't like bacon very much, mostly because it's too salty. I know that is blasphemy on this board, but that's how it is.

We make room for everyone on this forum! Well, maybe except people who don't like to cook, but what would they be doing here? ;) I think we have very few food snobs. OTOH, most foods are available in low-salt versions these days.

I have tried reduced sodium bacon but it seemed just as salty to me. I guess I like it as long as I have something with it to offset the salty taste. I do, however, absolutely love eggs cooked in bacon grease.

Carolpa, I'm pretty sure the constitution guarantees us the right to bacon. And It must be downright unconstitutional to not like it...clearly unamerican. I believe if you hurry you can catch a flight out of the country before a mob forms. ;p.

Carolpa, I'm pretty sure the constitution guarantees us the right to bacon. And It must be downright unconstitutional to not like it...clearly unamerican. I believe if you hurry you can catch a flight out of the country before a mob forms. ;p.

I guess I could choke down a piece of bacon once in a while to avoid being deported.

I have tried reduced sodium bacon but it seemed just as salty to me. I guess I like it as long as I have something with it to offset the salty taste. I do, however, absolutely love eggs cooked in bacon grease.

Carol, try soaking the bacon, uncooked, in water for about 15 minutes, then pat dry with a paper towel and fry. See if that helps with the salt.

I think I could try that! Thanks. My husband likes it salty, but I could just soak and dry mine.

It works for most things that are too salty, I desalt green olives by soaking them, too. The things you learn when you have salt sensitive blood pressure.

It works for most things that are too salty, I desalt green olives by soaking them, too. The things you learn when you have salt sensitive blood pressure.

What do you do with the olives? I don't want to desalt the whole jar because DH eats them too and likes the salt. I like olives and they are very healthy.

I like crisp bacon. And if it's a bit burnt, that's OK.

Thanks for the soaking tip, PF! Great idea, and I need to remember about the olive soaking!

Last edited:
I don't mind a little sweetness to my bacon, but I never buy maple flavored anything. Maple can get overbearing quick.

The best bacon I ever tasted was organic. How was it better? It just tasted like bacon, but more so, and didn't have those chemical tastes that we don't usually notice. I bought organic bacon again and it was just good, not spectacular like that first package (different brand, I think).

Back
Top Bottom