The Nagano Pork Chop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Here is a pork product we have started to feature at work. I won't turn this into an infomercial so here is the link if you care to check it out.Nagano Pork | Introduction It is a high end pork, produced and developed in Quebec, that was developed for the Japanese market. These chops are about 14 oz. They retail at our place for about 12 bucks each. We want to keep things simple and be able to taste and experience the meat without too much extra flavor added, so I have marinated them in olive oil, garlic, rosemary, black pepper and lemon zest. I am going to grill them on the indoor grill in a while so more posts and reviews to follow...

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 460
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:
What makes it high end, the way the meat is trimmed on the bone or the way the pig was raised?

What makes it high end, the way the meat is trimmed on the bone or the way the pig was raised?
From what I have read from the company's website I would think that it is for those reasons you have inquired about.

Premium feed

AWhereas pigs are usually fed corn and soy, the pigs used for Nagano pork are fed with a specific mixture of grains including not only corn and soy, but also barley and wheat. The feed contains no animal or bone meal, or ractopamine. . All Nagano pigs follow the same specific feed regimen.

Raised with care

Nagano pigs are raised and transported according to high standards designed to reduce the stress on the animal. Even the pieces of meat are cut using a unique non-automated process: butchering is done by hand, further contributing to the quality of the cuts of meat.

Aged for more flavour

The production method used means that the pork, like beef, can be aged. The 10-day process improves the flavour of the meat.

Here is the finished product. After eating it, I would have to say that it is probably the best pork chop experience I have ever had. The butchering/cleaning process makes it possible to eat every last bit of the chop. No excess fat that one would feel they have to cut out. The meat is very tender and juicy. Every bite was very flavorful. The price tag can seem a bit much, but it was every bit as enjoyable as a steak.

I served it with eggplant Parmesan....

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 426
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 472
Is this along the lines of heirloom pork with more fat and marbling so the chops aren't dry?

Can you see the marbling in the raw meat?

Is this along the lines of heirloom pork with more fat and marbling so the chops aren't dry?

Can you see the marbling in the raw meat?
Yes. There is more marbling in the meat. I noticed it before I cooked it. It is nothing like beef marbling can be, mind you. I did find it a bit thick in the middle, but it was still very juicy. I think it may be better suited for other types of preparation. But, this is what I wanted to find out by eating it grilled. You can't beat the tenderness. I may try it again stuffed with something....

Dang, I never heard of heirloom pork either. Maybe the place I got that prime NY strip from has one of these types of pork chop. If they have both, I'll take two!

I seldom buy pork loin any more because it's too lean. I prefer the flavor and moistness of the sirloin and butt.

I seldom buy pork loin any more because it's too lean. I prefer the flavor and moistness of the sirloin and butt.
I know what you mean. Once I got into the middle of this thing, it seemed like a lot of pork. They are a little on the "too big" side. GF could only eat half of hers. I persevered. The outside pieces with some fat cap on it and the crispy stuff around the bone, were amazing. Like I said, it would probably be better stuffed with something, or served with a sauce...I may try another one in the winter time done in the oven.

Last edited:
Those chops look wonderful.

I just couldn't do it, $12.00 for a pork chop, unless it comes with a salad, applesauce and a baked potato! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I know what you mean. Once I got into the middle of this thing, it seemed like a lot of pork. They are a little on the "too big" side. GF could only eat half of hers. I persevered. The outside pieces with some fat cap on it and the crispy stuff around the bone, were amazing. Like I said, it would probably be better stuffed with something, or served with a sauce...I may try another one in the winter time done in the oven.

That is exactly the reason I stopped buying thick (1.5") pork chops. Now if you had some gravy... :yum: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom