"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Executive Chef

The Nagano Pork Chop

Here is a pork product we have started to feature at work. I won't turn this into an infomercial so here is the link if you care to check it out.Nagano Pork | Introduction It is a high end pork, produced and developed in Quebec, that was developed for the Japanese market. These chops are about 14 oz. They retail at our place for about 12 bucks each. We want to keep things simple and be able to taste and experience the meat without too much extra flavor added, so I have marinated them in olive oil, garlic, rosemary, black pepper and lemon zest. I am going to grill them on the indoor grill in a while so more posts and reviews to follow...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	18509   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	18510  

Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Mmm, looks great. I love pork chops cut that way. Looking forward to your review.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

What makes it high end, the way the meat is trimmed on the bone or the way the pig was raised?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
What makes it high end, the way the meat is trimmed on the bone or the way the pig was raised?
From what I have read from the company's website I would think that it is for those reasons you have inquired about.

Premium feed

AWhereas pigs are usually fed corn and soy, the pigs used for Nagano pork are fed with a specific mixture of grains including not only corn and soy, but also barley and wheat. The feed contains no animal or bone meal, or ractopamine. . All Nagano pigs follow the same specific feed regimen.

Raised with care

Nagano pigs are raised and transported according to high standards designed to reduce the stress on the animal. Even the pieces of meat are cut using a unique non-automated process: butchering is done by hand, further contributing to the quality of the cuts of meat.

Aged for more flavour

The production method used means that the pork, like beef, can be aged. The 10-day process improves the flavour of the meat.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Here is the finished product. After eating it, I would have to say that it is probably the best pork chop experience I have ever had. The butchering/cleaning process makes it possible to eat every last bit of the chop. No excess fat that one would feel they have to cut out. The meat is very tender and juicy. Every bite was very flavorful. The price tag can seem a bit much, but it was every bit as enjoyable as a steak.

I served it with eggplant Parmesan....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	18511   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	18512  

Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Is this along the lines of heirloom pork with more fat and marbling so the chops aren't dry?

Can you see the marbling in the raw meat?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Is this along the lines of heirloom pork with more fat and marbling so the chops aren't dry?

Can you see the marbling in the raw meat?
Yes. There is more marbling in the meat. I noticed it before I cooked it. It is nothing like beef marbling can be, mind you. I did find it a bit thick in the middle, but it was still very juicy. I think it may be better suited for other types of preparation. But, this is what I wanted to find out by eating it grilled. You can't beat the tenderness. I may try it again stuffed with something....
Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Dang, I never heard of heirloom pork either. Maybe the place I got that prime NY strip from has one of these types of pork chop. If they have both, I'll take two!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
Master Chef

I had to look that up as I've never heard of Nagano being remotely known for pork. Might as well just called it Kobe pork....lol...
Old 08-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I had to look that up as I've never heard of Nagano being remotely known for pork. Might as well just called it Kobe pork....lol...
It was develped in Quebec for the Japanese market. They named it Nagano to try to appeal to the Japanese from what is printed in the promotion...

Tags
pork