Thick cut pork chops - pan sear vs. broil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I have some thick cut pork chops and I'm wondering what the best way to cook them would be. I found some recipes for pan searing and finishing in the oven. But I was also wondering if I could broil them and have good results? But I can't seem to find recipes for broiled pork chops so it seems to not be a very popular method - is there any reason for this? I thought maybe just 7-8 minutes per side on the second rack from the top.

Pan roasting, searing the chops over high heat in a pan then finishing them in the oven is the best way with thick chops. The once seared to a rich brown on the outside, the gentler heat of the oven will properly cook the interior without ruining the exterior.

The broiler would probably result in a hard dry exterior by the time the chops are cooked through.

Keep in mind pork is considered done at 145º F internal temperature.

Brining is your friend, even if you plan to stuff them.;)

even better to dry brine them. I vote pan roast like Andy said.

Regarding the pan roasting method, I've seen some recipes that call for browning both sides then moving into a 425 oven to finish, and others that call for similar but to transfer to a baking sheet that has been heating in the oven (rather than placing the whole pan in the oven). Would either one make any significant difference or is one better than the other?

Also, what is dry brining? How is that different than a rub?

Last edited:
If your pan isn't ovenproof, you would have to use a separate pan. You could also use a much lower over temp, e.g. 350ºF, and use your stove top pan.

I got to wondering if the salting it prior to cooking and then wrapping it in plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge would work on some thick pork chops I had. It is great for beef. Why not pork? I tried it, and then seared it on both sides until golden brown, popped into the oven at 350ºF. Perfect. No additional seasoning needed and juices in the pan made for a fantastic gravy. :angel:

I did two beautiful thick pork chops last night. First I brined them..mandatory in my opinion. Then I breaded them with flour, egg, and Panko bread crumbs and fried them in olive oil/butter combo on med heat till cooked through. They were excellent, perfectly brown and juicy.

Back
Top Bottom