TNT Pork with Mushroom Herb Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I found the recipe on a package of mushrooms. I don't remember the proportions. I have been making it for years.

Pork chops, with or without the bone can be substituted for the pork tenderloin.

This made enough for 4 people

• 700 grams pork tenderloin
  • 225 grams (1/2 lb) white mushrooms (or any kind you like)
  • 1/4 cup fresh "fine herbes" or 4 tsps (1 tblsp + 1 tsp) dry
  • flour
  • milk
  • butter
  • salt and pepper to taste

• Cut tenderloin into 3/4 inch medallions
  • Melt some butter on a frying pan.
  • Fry the medallions or chops until they are nicely browned and as done as you like them. You may need to fry in batches.
  • Remove pork and keep warm
  • Add more butter to the frying pan.
  • When the butter froths, add the mushrooms.
  • Cook until brown. Add more butter if necessary.
  • Add enough flour to absorb the fat.
  • Continue cooking for a few minutes.
  • Sprinkle the herbs over the mushrooms
  • Add some milk and stir, scraping all the good brown stuff off the bottom of the pan.
  • Simmer for a minute or two. The sauce should thicken.
  • Add more milk if the sauce is too thick.
  • Put the meat back on the pan.
  • Turn off the heat and stir to cover the meat with the sauce.

If you use a pretty frying pan, serve it from the pan.

IMG_2258.JPG

There are more pix in this Picasa album

Yeah, that's good stuff! I make something a lot like it, but I add a good splash of
white wine to the mushrooms when they hit the pan, then another to taste when I
make my gravy. Sometimes I cheat and use a can of mushroom soup and/or brown
gravy mix instead of milk. Sour cream works too!

A classic comfort food dish, very old school, I love it.
Tax mate I looked at your other pics you appear to be as tidy as me, I get a similar decorating effect when cooking polenta;)

Our pork tenderloin gravy was delicious, but the pork itself was a little dry and tough - think I'll do the crock pot next time with the same ingredients, although I wonder if low and slow would work on such a lean cut? Maybe brining and oven-roasting is best.

Our pork tenderloin gravy was delicious, but the pork itself was a little dry and tough - think I'll do the crock pot next time with the same ingredients, although I wonder if low and slow would work on such a lean cut? Maybe brining and oven-roasting is best.

I have never tried brining, but for the pork in this dish, I do hot and quick, not low and slow. It comes out succulent if it isn't over cooked.

That looks really tastey, taxlady! I like your serving pan! Where did you find it?

Thanks Timothy. The pan is enamelled cast iron from a Danish company called Copco. Unfortunately, they quit making pans. Fortunately, I got the ones my mum had in addition to mine, so I have a bunch of the stuff.

I have a different pan that is similar to the one in the link. It's great for stuff that needs to fried and then braised or simmered.

The one in my photo is supposedly a wok. The advantage of using that one for this recipe is that I can fit more chops on at once, because the sides slant and there is no hard bend between the bottom and sides.

Back
Top Bottom