"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 02-03-2008, 06:27 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you all for the sauce and slaw recipes!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:35 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Hey, I thought you were STILL in the woodshed! MAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGE!!!!!!!!!!
What was that?? I couldn't hear you....

I can't hear out of my right ear now...

Old 02-04-2008, 07:18 AM   #23
Senior Cook

I see the cat's out of the bag about Boston Butts. Pork butts and cole slaw go together like love & marriage. Here's a few recipes that recipes that have withstood the test of time with me, the vinegar slaw will make you pucker up.

When mixing dressings I use a hand mixer to really get them blended. For just my wife and I the bagged Cole slaw is ok, for a bunch I use heads of cabbage and a mandolin.

Here is an unusual, but very good, recipe from Danny Gaulden. If you do not know who Danny is go to Welcome to Danny's Barbecue. Naturally I’ve modified it to suit our taste, as I’m sure you will also as time goes bye.

Danny Gaulden’s
Old South Slaw Dressing

1 tablespoons salad oil
6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic

Even though we use a modified Corky's slaw dressing at the restaurant, there's one I like better. Matter of fact, it's the only one I fix here at home. I LOVE this stuff, but you may not. It's what I consider deep, old south, and what Carolyn and I had every time we went to eat at a seafood house, bbq joint, etc. in south or north Louisiana. Matter of fact, Carolyn's mother fixed a very similar recipe all her life, (she lives in Baton Rouge now and spent many years on the famous river road between New Orleans & Baton Rouge as a home education teacher). Lot of fine cooking goes on down there. Anyway, here is the recipe. It is a sweet sour mix. If you like the tart, sweet taste on your slaw, you'll love this. Nice thing about it is that you can't "over extend" this dressing. If you apply too much, it doesn’t just stick to everything and make it too wet as does a creamy dressing. It just drains down to the bottom. It will keep a couple of days or more on the slaw before crispness is gone. Don't let the simplicity fool you. I've always said some of the best cooking comes from simple recipes. This is one of them. Just takes a couple of minutes to fix. Also, don't let the looks of it fool you. Just try it and let me know what you think.

Mix well and pour over slaw. This is a small recipe and makes enough dressing for about 3-4 people. Adjust accordingly.

East Tennessee Vinegar Cole Slaw:

1/2 head of green cabbage
1/4 head of red cabbage
1 small bell pepper, chopped
1 small sweet onions, chopped
2 carrots, grated
Dressing:

1-cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 cup cider vinegar

cup Red Wine Vinegar
cup white vinegar
cup water

Combine coleslaw vegetable ingredients; chopped cabbage, chopped bell pepper, chopped onions, and grated carrots in a large serving bowl.

In a bowl combine remaining ingredients. Pour over cabbage, stir in. Refrigerate for at least eight hours, I usually go for 24 hours in a flat, covered, plastic container large enough to let most of the cabbage rest in the dressing, stir occasionally.

Sour Cream Mayonnaise Cole Slaw

1/2 head of green cabbage
1/4 head of red cabbage
1 small bell pepper, chopped
2 carrots, grated

Dressing
cup white vinegar
1/3 up sugar
1-cup mayonnaise
1-cup sour cream
1 Tbs celery seed
S&P to taste

Let sit overnight in covered container. Add to cabbage about one hour before serving.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #24
Head Chef

Here in this part of NC, the BBQ sauce for pulled pork is really simple.
Generally it is along the lines of
1/2 cider vinegar, 1/2 white vinegar
Red pepper flakes and/or Frank's/Tabasco sauce to taste.
Some garlic power, pepper and salt.

Douse the pulled pork well, let it heat a bit then eat.
Best served on a cheap white sandwich bun, perhaps with some
sweet/tangy cole slaw.

Makes me drool just thinking of it upstairs........
Old 02-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I appreciate the additional slaw recipes... and sauce recipes.
I've only eaten mayo based slaw, I even made a big batch several years ago.... several.... that didn't come out too bad. I can't wait to make and try some of these tangy slaws.
Heck, I can't wait to unthaw that other half Boston butt and turn it into pulled pork!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #26
Sous Chef

I have a question about this.... I really really want to make this, but the "Boston Butt" that i got at the store doesn't have this... twine, mesh on it. Is that okay??
Old 02-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner_chef View Post
I have a question about this.... I really really want to make this, but the "Boston Butt" that i got at the store doesn't have this... twine, mesh on it. Is that okay??
Yes. The mesh is usually for boneless meat, you may have a bone, but don't worry about it.

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon."
Mary Pettibone Poole
Ask-A-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Oh great! Thanks for the quick response!!
Old 02-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Okay, I'm sorry.. I have 2 more questions...lol

*What would I do differently if i wanted to do this in my crock pot instead of the oven? Just curious..

*And can I put it in while it's frozen? Or does it need to thaw out completely?

Thanks...
Old 02-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #30
Head Chef

Here is how I do mine--and I generally do 2 big pork butts at a time, because it freezes so well.

Mix a cup of brown sugar, 2 or 3 tablespoons of chili powder, and a tablespoon of salt, and rub it over the surface of the meat. If you like heat, put in some cayenne. Put the meat on a rack in roasting pan.

Preheat your oven to 400, put the roasts in and immediately turn the heat down to 200.

Go to bed. In the morning your house will smell wonderful, but don't eat it yet--keep it cooking til suppertime, and the meat will just melt in your mouth. (If you really can't help yourself, have a little for a breakfast treat.)

24 hour pork butt--can't miss with it. The sugar makes for a lovely "bark" that is just a little sweet, with soft and tender meat.

Tags
None