Too simple to be so good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I love this kind of pork roast! The stringy kind, which was always referred to in my circle as a rolled pork roast, but I guess it's also called a Boston Butt. Now I know what y'all have been referring to by Boston Butt :LOL: I wonder when they started labeling them that way in my area.....

Anyway, season the meat with salt, pepper, garlic powder and some sliced onions on top. Put it in a glass pan with about 1/2" of water. Put the lid on and cook covered at 275 F for 3-1/2 hours. Then take the lid off for another half hour. It takes longer to take the wrapping off the meat than it does to prep the roast for cooking :)
And you can leave the knife in the drawer ;)

Attachments

• porkroast1.jpg
    porkroast1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 245
That does look good. By wrapping do you mean one of those pork roasts that is wrapped up in twine? And if so are you leaving it on until after the roast is done, or taking it off and unrolling before cooking?
Thanks!

Thanks Barb :)

I meant the packaging the roast came in, Buddy. Poor choice of words on my part.... I must have been thinking plastic wrap and wrote wrapping.... not even sure if that's a noun now that I think about it :huh:
So yeah, this is the roast that has the twine mesh around it. I always have the butcher cut it in half for me since I typically just cook for one. The other half is still in the freezer. After the roast is done you cut and pull the string off. And the stuff that sticks to it is heaven to pick off and eat :)

The leftover roast and gravy heated up and put on a couple of slices of bread makes an excellent open face sandwich, too.

Yea, I love that stuff too. If I can manage to help myself, I put it into the gravy with the rest of the stuff, yum there too! But most times it disappears from when I cut it off to when I make the gravy (burp) ;)
Thanks for the info, sounds yummy!

I think next time I'll drop the twine in the gravy as I'm making it. That way what's left on it can fall off as I'm stirring. Sometimes I think I could eat that string (lol)

Boston Butt is the best!!! OK - pacanis, you have to promise me that you'll try this just one time!

• Cut the fat cap off. Rub with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
  • Place a long cake pan (13 x 9) on bottom rack and fill 1/2 way with apple juice
  • Place butt directly on the oven rack above cake pan
  • At 225 degrees F. cook until it reaches an internal temp of 190 - 200 (I tried to shoot for 210 one time and it just wouldn't quite get there! lol).

You will be amazed! The outside will develop some bark - highly prized! The inside will be like butter.

I've got a recipe for bbq sauce that I have to have when I make this - if you are interested I will post it (it may be here somewhere already)

The Boston Butt roast is amazing in its versatility. You can braise it as you described and it is great. You can also take that roast, again cooked just as you did, or in a slow-cooker, and when it reaches that desired 190 degree temp, shredd it with a fork and add just a bit of salt and onion, stir well, and serve as pulled pork. You can also cook this roast on the bbq, over a slow fire, with hardwood for smoke. Can you say yum, and in how many languages?

The key to this roast is that it is a well exercized muscle group (from the butt of the pork shoulder) with a significant amount of fat, and connecting tissue. The connecting tissue is basically made from collagen, which at around 190 degrees F., melts into a rich and nutritions liquid that contains both viscocity, and nutrition. Collagen is a close cousin to protien and is what gelatine is made from for Jello and similar products. It is also leached from cartilage containing tissues such as the heads an insides of bones. The fat also adds to the mouth-feel and flavor of this cut, epspecially when mixed into the pulled pork presentation.

Typically, the rich flavor of a boston butt lends itself to both tomato-based, and honey-mustard based bbq sauces, to various fruit sauces, including apple, cherry, stone fruits, and citrus fruits. It is also great with most tropical fruits.

Use the boston butt in a host of ways. If you follow the low & slow rule, you will never be dissapointed.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

"It's like butta" :LOL: (old SNL)

I will give it a try and I'll be sure to let you know how it comes out. Sounds fantastic.
What's the ETD (estimated time of doneness), half a day? I've never temp tested my pork roast so I couldn't even tell you what it is, just that it's done after four hours.

Where's the sauce recipe? Might as well go all the way. Plus I've never made my own sauce..... I've been meaning to do that.

And I assume the string is left off since you need to trim the fat off? (Man, I love that part :( It's the fat that makes this the best pork roast out there!) :LOL:

Thanks for all that info Goodweed.
And BTW, I used the slurry method for the gravy. I pulled out your gravy info as it was nearing doneness ;)

OMG, that looks wonderful!! Let me know what time dinner is next time so I don't miss it again, please. YUMMY!!

pacanis, i used elfie's rub (and method for charcoal bbq) this past summer and it was fantastic!

i recently found some of the meat leftover in the freezer, reheated it and placing it on onion rolls made a hot/mustard/vinegar sauce for it, and even 6 months later it was good.

lemme see if i can find a picture.

Can't go wrong. The shoulder/"butt" is the basis of most of the best pork dishes, imo. Carnitas, BBQ, Pulled Pork...yumm!

i love it because it is practically fool proof. Low and slow is all you need.

Thank you TXgirl, you're on. Your place or mine..... I decided, your place. Your place is probably warmer than PA right now :LOL:

Yeah, now that I know it's called Boston butt I'm going to have to backtrack through some of these threads. I think John A posted one, I think I remember you mentioned elfie's rub and the grill in one, BT.... here I've only ever cooked it one way before. Not that that's a bad thing ;)
Pulled pork... I've always like the way that sounded. Now I need to get a good slaw recipe!

bucky - I'm glad it was so good even after being frozen!

I have found that I prefer to not put a rub on mine and use my sauce instead. Go figure!

pacanis - I know - I love the fat cap too! By removing it you just allow more of the "bark" to form. I will have to PM you the bbq sauce recipe and I will also PM you a slaw recipe, which uses the same bbq sauce in it making what we call "red slaw" here.

I'll get right on that!

EDITED to say your PM has been sent! Also, the way we serve our pulled pork is on really soft hamburger buns with the slaw recipe I sent you and dill chips - and of course the bbq sauce doused all over the meat! It MUST drip down to your elbows - it's the only way you know you have enough sauce on it! :LOL: A may-based slaw is also good on it.

Last edited:
We use just about any pork "roast" that has a fatty content. Tonight we
did a pork shoulder roast.

Our method is to season the roast, pretty much as above.
Then put into 475 degree oven, uncovered for 30 minutes.
Remove, add 1 beer or liquid of choice, sprinkle with chopped onions
and garlic.
Cover, reduce heat to 350 or so, and cook till it hits 190 inside. About 2 or so hours.

My wife the gravy wizard uses the drippings for gravy. Yum yum yum!

Back
Top Bottom