Trimming fat off meat....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrantsKat

Executive Chef
Good Morning!
Im making a pork loin stuffed with cornbread dressing today, and as I was browsing through recipes, I noticed that some of them recommend trimming the layer of fat off of the loin. I have never done this any of the times that I have made pork loin because its such a lean meat already. So my question is what would be the benefit in trimming that layer fat off??
Thanks!!

The only reason would be to reduce the amount of fat in the dish (ie calories or people on fat free diet). The problem is that the fat can contain a lot of the flavour and also as you suggest the meat dries out. I would say it is entirely down to personal preference - you could trim off some of the fat - leaving the rest to flavour & moisten the dish.

Miniman got it right. I never trim the fat. It's there for the flavor and protection from dryness.

I've never made a fatty porkLOIN. Mine alway come pre-trimmed I guess. The only thing I've ever had to trim was a bit of silverskin. And they've always been moist and tender, stuffed or not.

I've never made a fatty porkLOIN. Mine alway come pre-trimmed I guess. The only thing I've ever had to trim was a bit of silverskin. And they've always been moist and tender, stuffed or not.

You may have a pork loin confused with a pork tenderloin, which is entirely lean. There is no silverskin on a pork loin so that's the clue.

I don't trim the fat off the top of meat unless there is an large amount which happens very seldom. Then I just shave off a thin layer. The fat bastes the meat and gives it intense flavor, and you can cut if off before serving.

Attachments

• Pork loin roast.jpg
    Pork loin roast.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 130
Is a pork loin roast the same as a rolled pork roast, or Boston Butt?

And I never trim the fat off of anything :) I love pork fat! One of my favorite flavors.

Your right, DQ. I'm thinking tenderloin. Thanks.

(that's one beautiful piece of meat pic you got there. I see the diff. I bet on the grill would be fantastic!)

A loin roast is not the same as a butt. The Boston butt is the top portion of the front shoulder while the loin is along the top of the back. It's equivalent to the prime rib on a steer.

Thanks Andy. The way it was tied up with the string had me thinking it was.

Thanks Andy. The way it was tied up with the string had me thinking it was.

I had to look again and noticed that the picture shows a boneless pork loin. When the entire bone is removed, the roast is tied back together to keep it from falling open. If you buy one with the bone there is no string. I always buy one with the bone because I think the bone adds flavor, much like chicken bones do for broth.

I also noticed that the text was double posted. I fixed it.

I had to look again and noticed that the picture shows a boneless pork loin. When the entire bone is removed, the roast is tied back together to keep it from falling open. If you buy one with the bone there is no string.

I also noticed that the text was double posted. I fixed it.
The loin I bought was boneless but it was not tied up or even split open, in fact I had to butterfly it in order to stuff it.

The tied roast pictured in an earlier post above is actually two loins tied together.

The first picture below is of two pork tenderloins on the cuttingboard. A whole tenderloin will weigh between a pound and a pound and a half.

The second picture is of a pork loin. Two of these were tied together to make the roast in the earlier post.

The loin will have fat on it while the tenderloin will have silverskin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom