"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Old 06-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
This is a very flavorful and succulent roast and a great alternative to pulled pork if you're interested.

Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder

1 Ea Pork Butt, 6 to 8 Lb.
C Kosher salt
C Light Brown Sugar
TT Ground Black Pepper
2-3 Tb Flour

Cut slits 1 inch apart in the fat cap of the roast, being careful not to cut into the meat. If the roast is boned, tie it with string to a uniform shape. Combine the salt and brown sugar in a bowl and rub it all over the pork shoulder and into the slits. Wrap the roast tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap, place it on rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.

Preheat the oven to 325º F.

Adjust an oven rack to the lowest position in the oven. Unwrap the roast and brush off any excess salt mixture. Season the roast with pepper. Place the roast onto a V-rack coated with nonstick cooking spray set in large roasting pan and add 1 quart of water to the roasting pan.

Cook the roast, basting it twice during cooking, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the roast, near but not touching any bone, registers 190º F, about 5 to 6 hours. Add water to the pan as needed to prevent its drying out.

Transfer the roast to a carving board and let it rest, loosely tented with foil, for 1 hour prior to carving.

To make a gravy, transfer the liquid in the roasting pan to a fat separator and let it stand.

Using 2-3 tablespoons of fat and an equal amount of flour, make a roux. Whisk in the defatted liquid from the roasting pan supplemented with chicken broth if necessary. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes to make the gravy.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Executive Chef
I forgot, if you make pulled pork sandwiches, be sure and top them with some cole slaw. It makes it double good.

Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
Master Chef
David Chang's Bo Ssam is going to be my next pork butt experiment. It's supposed to be unbelievable.

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I forgot, if you make pulled pork sandwiches, be sure and top them with some cole slaw. It makes it double good.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
Thanks for your imputs. I put it in a slow cooker all last night, and will be ready for later today. Now I just need to know the 'How to' process of pulling it apart.
rockey_f_squirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
Admiral of the Texas Navy
Put the cooked meat in a roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet. Use two forks to grab and pull the meat apart. Continue until all is shredded.

Left overs are great to use in Posole, Carnitas, or Taco's Al Carbon.

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
Master Chef
The meat should be falling apart and the bone should pull out cleanly.

Make sure the meat is still warm when you pull it. I hand-pull mine but forks work well, too.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #18
Master Chef
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
A big tough muscle mass like a pork shoulder needs to be cooked slowly. I normally cook this in a smoker for about 2 hours a pound at 200-225. So a 9 pound butt takes around 18 hours. I look for an internal temp of 190 for pulled pork sammies.

It can also be done in a crock pot.

Low and slow is the key to this cut of meat.

If done in a crock pot, but you still want that great smokey flavor, when the pork is done, and pulled, place it into the larges cast iron pan you can find. Fire up a covered charcoal grill and place mesquite, or fruit wood (cherry, apple, peach, etc) onto the hot coals. Place the pan on the grill above the bed of coals and wood, and shut the cover. Cook for ten minutes. Stir the meat and cover again for ten more minutes. Do to the great amount of surface area, the meat will pick up that great smoke flavor in a short time.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
i finally got around to posting my revised version of spicy carolina style pulled pork made in the crock pot.

i thought that i had posted it here many years ago, but i can't find it. nonetheless, i posted it on food.com years ago and it's gotten several 5 star reviews.

since then, i've tweaked it a bit to make it a little spicier.

so, here's another super easy idea for a pork shoulder: Buckytom's Spicy Carolina Style Pulled Pork Recipe for the Crock Pot
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
To the OP, I hope you tried the low and slow method method I got from Tyson, using 350° 45 minutes /# It comes out perfect every timre. Juicy and tender ! Please tell us how it came out !

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

other, pork