"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Cook

What can I do with Pork Shoulder?

I am sorry if this is in a wrong category. I got a pork shoulder from a food pantry, and was wondering what to do with it. I heard I can do Pulled pork, but don't know how to transform this big mass into pulled pork. All I need to know is how to get the material. I can make a good BBQ flavoring, just need to know how to prepare it.

Thank you.

If I am in the wrong thread, please guide me and I will try not to disturb this subject again, thanks

Old 06-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Admiral of the Texas Navy

A big tough muscle mass like a pork shoulder needs to be cooked slowly. I normally cook this in a smoker for about 2 hours a pound at 200-225. So a 9 pound butt takes around 18 hours. I look for an internal temp of 190 for pulled pork sammies.

It can also be done in a crock pot.

Low and slow is the key to this cut of meat.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Pulled pork is a process that takes a long time. It is fairly easy. You can do it in a pot with some flavored braising liquid. Make sure there is enough to almost cover the meat. It can be done in your oven on low, 220 to 250, for at leas 8 or more hours. You can add many different flavorings to the liquid. Garlic, onions, ketchup, cola, beer, Worcestershire sauce, or many other things depending on what you have or what you like. It is ready when it falls apart easily when pulled apart with a fork. Drain the liquid, and pull the meat apart when it is still hot. Add a bit of bbq sauce to your liking and Bob's your uncle.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Head Chef

This was posted a long time ago by the then Goodweed of the North, I believe. Season with salt and pepper. Heat upa a heavy pan until it screams (his words) and put 2 tbsp. of oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Brown all sides of the roast and rmove from the heat. throw the roast into a slow cooker with 1 coarsely chopped large yellow onion, and 3 cloves of minced garlic. Add 1/2 tsp. liqui9d smoke to 1/2 cup of water, stir together and pour evenly over the roast.Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours Remove from the cooker and pull. Serve on a roll with your bbq.sauce.

If you don't have a slow cooker. you can put it in the oven and cook it low and slow , say 300 degrees for 4-5 hours.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I like to do pulled pork true "Q" style on either a stick burner or the Egg. I also love doing a Cuban style pork roast as well.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi, Rocky. Welcome to DC This is the perfect forum for your question.

A while ago, I posted this recipe for Slow Cooker Pulled Pork. You can probably leave out the white pepper; I don't usually use it - it just came with the recipe
Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Executive Chef

You could cry on it, but pigs never show much sympathy.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Master Chef

Suggestion:

For the liquid,

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
After you pull the cooked meat out of the liquid, use a gravy separator to get rid of some of the grease (or not ...) it's up to you.

Shred the meat while it's still warm and mix the meat back into the cooking liquid.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Depending on its size, you can cut it in half, and freeze one part for another time, otherwise it makes a lot.

Kahlua Slow Cooked Pork
Makes 12-14 servings
5-6 pound pork butt roast
1 1/2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
1 1/2 tablespoons liquid smoke fla
1. Pierce the pork roast all over with the tip of a sharp knife. Place the roast in a large slow cooker and rub the salt all over the meat. Drizzle the liquid smoke over the meat.
2. Cover the slow cooker and cook on Low Heat for 16 to 20 hours, turning the roast over once half-way through the cooking time. Depending on how hot your low setting is on your slow cooker, you may or may not need the full 20 hours. When the meat easily shreds with a fork it is ready.
3. Remove the meat from the slow cooker, allow to cool until you can handle it, then shred with two forks, adding drippings from the slow cooker as needed to moisten the meat.
*Note: Don’t be tempted to add any additional liquid–you don’t need it. The fat in the roast will provide more than enough liquid. For this size of roast, you will need a 6-qt. slow cooker. If you have a smaller slow cooker, use a smaller roast and reduce the amount of the other ingredients accordingly.

I think this is one of a few recipes where liquid smoke works really well.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I usually fix my pork in a slow cooker, I season with salt,pepper,cumin to taste and about 1/8 cup of water. I then cook for 12/16 hrs, or more, then when we get to about 1/2 hour left I add a sweet bbq sauce and shred the meat with forks. We put the meat on buttered rolls of choice serve with cabbage cole slaw dressed with honey mustard and mayo some baked beans
kadesma

Tags
other, pork