What compliments pork/cream of mushroom soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanwingen

Cook
Pork Loin (or chops) cooked with Cream of Mushroom soup over top of it.

I am looking for dishes that compliment this meal. (Sunday dinner)
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy? What kind of gravy is best?
How about a simple dessert? What sweets compliment pork?
How about rolls? I am not a bread expert. Does anyone know if any kind of bread that compliments pork? How about some kind of sweet roll? Any suggestions on a sweet roll?

~THANKS! :rolleyes:

Add some cold water with flour to mix with the soup and you will have your gravey. Apple sauce goes well with pork. We had rhubarb pie with ours the other night.

Braised apples and cabbage is a good side dish for pork or coleslaw salad with pineapple chunks and slivered fresh ginger. Hey, wouldn't a nice crisp Waldorf salad be another good choice? If you really want to do something different, try a tropical fruit platter with sliced mango, papaya, pineapple, kiwi, etc. Glazed carrots and pineapple chunks are also a good side. Try mashed sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes for a nice change (my aunt adds canned pineapple to her mashed sweet potatoes). You mentioned sweet rolls with your dinner. I had a pulled pork sandwich recently at an Hawaiian-type restaurant and it was served on a soft Hawaiian sweet roll. Check your local bakery or grocery for these rolls. (I imagine you could find recipes on this website if you wanted to make the rolls yourself.) I agree with Thumper, thin your mushroom gravy a bit with milk and use that instead of making another gravy and rhubarb pie, as Thumper suggests for dessert, sounds great. If you want to get fancy try lightly sauteing slices of canned or fresh pineapple and banana with a little brown sugar, butter, and, if desired, a little rum or rum flavoring. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert. Here's one last idea ~ my friend always serves pork with a side salad of cottage cheese and fresh or canned fruit on a bed of lettuce. Hope these suggestions help!

Last edited:
I'm on a rice kick lately. I'd make a batch of my homemade rice pilaf. I'm not big on cabbage, so I doubt I'd go for that as the veg. However, I love corn, peas, broccoli, green beans, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom