What did I just buy and what should I do with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sicklyscott

Assistant Cook
After hearing my brother talk about braising a pork loin in milk the other day I decided that I had a craving for pork tenderloin. I went out to the local market and found the pork and saw the 'loins fell into quite a few shapes, 1 being chops, 2 being a big 3 lb (also noted as 3 pc) pork loin and 3 a 1.25 pound pork tenderloin. All the recipes I've found refer to the 3 lb piece by referencing its weight and size, however none refer to the smaller version that I picked up. Can anyone explain to me the differences here?

Also can any suggest a cooking method or recipe? I was hoping to go the braised route (never done it before and it sounds interesting).

Thanks for the help!
Scott

The loin and tenderloin are two different pieces of meat.

A loin, whether bone in or boneless, is equivalent to a standing rib roast of beef (prime rib). The tenderloin of pork is the same as a tenderloin of beef, where filet mignon comes from.

The tenderloin is the leanest and most tender part of the pig. It should not be braised at all. It is best for fast cooking methods such as pan roasting or grilling.

Actually, the loin has the same cooking requirements as it is also a lean and naturally tender cut as well.

Braising involves cooking meats at low temperatures for long periods of time, partially immersed in a liquid. This cooking method is designed for cheaper cuts of meat that contain a lot of fat and connective and need the long cooking times to tenderize them.

If you want to braise a cut of pork, consider a ham (part of the rear leg) or shoulder cut.

Back
Top Bottom