What is this pork cut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

praga

Assistant Cook
Any guesses what the flat cut of Pork is in this picture?

I used it over a year ago to add meat to my pulled pork and it was the most amazing thing ever..

I'm 90% sure it had bones in it so I'm guessing it had to be ribs of some sort.. but it was a long time ago and I remember the bones being rather small and in the center of the meat.. possibly not always visible.. I really wish I could remember.

The main cut is a Pork Shoulder Picnic Roast of course.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 348
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 289
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 312
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 304
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 322
I can't answer your question, but I would like to welcome you to DC. Don't fret. I am sure someone will be along with more information that you ever thought possible. :angel:

It's really difficult to say. The photos are not close ups that could provide detail and it looks like the meat has been covered by a rub or similar so we cant see the pattern of lean and fat and the collection of different muscles that make up the cut.

It could be yes..

My best guess was spare ribs cut in a St. Luis style?

It would make it fairly rectangular shaped like that.

But it's tough to see and I have rub on it so all we can do is guess.. we did end up going with back ribs though so we will see how it goes.

I can't think of anything else it could be really other than some rib cut.

Since it had small bones inside the middle of the meat.

It also seemed to have a fairly solid fat layer on top there though.. wish I could remember if it was skin on there or not, that would probably help.

Really appreciate all the responses though, thanks so much everyone!

I'd agree that it's most likely a shoulder

However it could be a small pork butt. I'd have to see it closer and the other side.

I sell pork on the weekends for a local farmer and we sell pork butts every once in awhile

It is hard to say, and I am not sure what it is called in English, I think it is part from around the neck, so maybe it is shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom