What to do with Wild Boar Tenderloin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
We got a few samples of Wild Boar in and I am bringing a couple of tenderloins home tomorrow. They are bigger than regular pork and a bit darker. They are still in the shrink wrap so, I will inspect it further when I get home after my shift. I'll take a few photos if anybody is interested. Right now, I am wondering how to do it up. I am coming up with a lot of sweet type sauces that GF is scrunching her nose up at. I would suspect that it is leaner, thus, dryer than commercial pork, so you would want to sauce it. Any recommendations?

It's been a while since we've had wild boar. I used to cook it as a normal store bought chop. Season then cook until it's tender.

It makes great a great sweet & sour pork dish. We'd have that over rice often.

I have two. I'll put that on the list. Thanks.

Now that I think about it. Hubby used to take some of the boar, it didn't matter what the cut was. I know he only left a small amount of fat on it and cooked it in the oven with some water, seasonings covered pan until it was really tender. He then added B-B-Q sauce to it.

When I first read the title of the thread, I thought I saw "bear tenderloin". I'm thinking, "Bear doesn't have tenderloins, does it?"

Yes, every animal has a tenderloin, doesn't it?

Rock, I would take your tree stand, flip it around so the expanded metal base where you stand is over a huge fire, then slap those babies on there and drench in beer. Let everything flame up. Yep. OK. May have watched too many hunting programs :LOL:

It is my lazy way of making it seem like an old English Cumberland sauce.
I had never heard of Cumberland sauce, so I Googled it and found it on Wikipedia. It was invented in Germany and named after Lord Cumberland, who had ties to Germany. Makes sense to me. Danes use it in cooking and there are a lot of similarities between German and Danish cooking.

Wikipedia said it was a more complicated version of the English red currant sauce, which is made of red currants, sugar, and rosemary. Now I will have to try that red currant sauce.

I marinate most wild game in Dales, garlic, pepper, then slow roast.

Alternatively, the tougher cuts of wild game make excellent chili.

Went with Hoot's Wild Boar in Onion Gravy w/ garlic mash, and a couple fresh garden goodies. It was a winner! And, I got a real treat from a friend today. He gave me a big bag of home grown garlic. I can't believe how juicy and sticky it is. Very nice. I couldn't help myself and deglazed the pan with some Canadian Sherry before adding the Boar stock. I was surprised to discover that it tasted more like beef than pork. I really liked it...So did GF.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 294

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom