"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! Wish I could be on here more but I'm working at a camp in the middle of nowhere from 6:30am to 8:00pm and no Internet. I like the beer one Craig! It would work for me but I would prob get fired haha. I'm getting through breakfast and lunch pretty good . It's fairly easy. Pancakes, sausages, French toast etc . (except the Saturday morning cinnamon rolls) Corn dogs nuggets, grilled cheese. It's the suppers I'm struggling with. Tonight was chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans. Thursday night is pork chops. The menu is the same every week so hopefully I will get it before camp is over! LoL Any imput would be greatly appreciated ! I do have some help but mostly with serving and clean up I do most of the prep work.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
Im working as a cook at a church camp this month and they want home-made cinnamon rolls for breakfast on Saturday mornings.

Cindy

Craig, this is her original post. She is cooking for a church camp. That means daycamp. Kids show up around nine a.m., have a snack, have lunch and go home in the late p.m. in time for supper at home. And since this is a church sponsored camp, you can bet the budget is tight.
The kids come in on Monday morning and stay through Saturday morning so I'm cooking 3 meals a day for them plus getting their evening snack. The menu is already made up and the food is already bought. I'm kinda limited on ways to fix the food.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #23
Senior Cook

No one knows my secret, but let me share it with you. I use Franks Red Hot Original as my chop seasioning. I slather it on and either fry it or bake it. It doesn't get as hot as some may think, but it does have a 'kick'. It also keeps the meat moist. No one has figured it out..yet
Old 06-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
That might work for some kids. I would have gone to bed hungry with those suggestions. Squash, pumpkin pie seasoning, glazed carrots, baked beans, bread dressing, sweet sauces, lentils. You have listed some of the things I really despise and despised as a child.
Thanks! I like your Ideas !
Old 06-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

Hello Cindy4331,
Brine the pork chops for 4-8 hours depending on the thickness (the thicker the chop, the longer time in brine)

Basic recipe:
1 gallon water
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup kosher salt
2 each white onions, rough chop
2 stalks celery, rough chop
1 carrot, rough chop
1/4 cup garlic cloves, peeled
2 tbsp. black peppercorns
2 each bay leaves
1 tbsp. juniper berries
2 each thyme sprigs
2 each rosemary sprigs
1/4 cup mustard seeds
1 tbsp. cloves
1 tbsp. allspice
1/2 cup coriander seeds

place all ingredients in a large pot, except the fresh herbs. Bring to a boil and remove from heat, and cool in a large icebath. Add the fresh herbs and brine the pork chops for a few hours, depending on the size (4-8 hours is good). Remove pork chops from the brine and marinade in olive oil, smashed garlic cloves, thyme and rosemary. Pan sear or grill.

Sear the chops in a large saute pan over high heat, remove and place on a roasting rack so that the chops are not touching in a single layer. You could mark the pork chops on the grill for added flavor. With either method be careful not to overcook the pork chops, only to mark until brown.

When ready, preheat oven to 500 degrees as the oven temperature will drop substantially when many items are placed inside it. cook the chops to your desired temperature (145 degrees internal temperature is recommended, but not always necessary) , remove from the oven and rest for 3-5 minutes. Serve.

Good luck, and remember, don't stack the pork chops, don't overcook them as they will dry out.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
She is cooking for a daycamp for kids. Remember, she is the one who asked about the cinnamon rolls. That is when she mentioned the daycamp. Sorry I chided you. But it did make me laugh.
Umm, I don't remember , because I didn't read that thread, so I could only base my reply on the OP in this one. I guess assumptions have their way of making the rounds.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I find my grand kids love sweet things I know, I know sugar But it is important to get food down them soooo. I find brown sugar, sliced apples and apple cider or apple juice over the chops might do the trick. My kids also love battered green beans, peas and butter, they have discovered rhutabegas mashed with butter in potatoes yummy, bacon and green beans, rice pilaf just plain rice in browned butter with Mexican fideo browned first then rice added and then chicken broth they gobble this down. I find kids are not so fond of potatoes so rice and especially tiny pastas like the mini bow ties with nothing but butter and a little salt is great to them. Salads not so much depends on what they are given at home but they do love berries, and any kind of fruit.Seasoning for pork a touch of fresh chopped rosemary go easy tho it's strong Brining is fine if you have a lot of time. lemon zest and juice,garlic,salt and pepper,evoo,sage,carrots,pancetta. some thoughts
kadema
Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayati
Hello Cindy4331,
Brine the pork chops for 4-8 hours depending on the thickness (the thicker the chop, the longer time in brine)

Basic recipe:
1 gallon water
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup kosher salt
2 each white onions, rough chop
2 stalks celery, rough chop
1 carrot, rough chop
1/4 cup garlic cloves, peeled
2 tbsp. black peppercorns
2 each bay leaves
1 tbsp. juniper berries
2 each thyme sprigs
2 each rosemary sprigs
1/4 cup mustard seeds
1 tbsp. cloves
1 tbsp. allspice
1/2 cup coriander seeds

place all ingredients in a large pot, except the fresh herbs. Bring to a boil and remove from heat, and cool in a large icebath. Add the fresh herbs and brine the pork chops for a few hours, depending on the size (4-8 hours is good). Remove pork chops from the brine and marinade in olive oil, smashed garlic cloves, thyme and rosemary. Pan sear or grill.

Sear the chops in a large saute pan over high heat, remove and place on a roasting rack so that the chops are not touching in a single layer. You could mark the pork chops on the grill for added flavor. With either method be careful not to overcook the pork chops, only to mark until brown.

When ready, preheat oven to 500 degrees as the oven temperature will drop substantially when many items are placed inside it. cook the chops to your desired temperature (145 degrees internal temperature is recommended, but not always necessary) , remove from the oven and rest for 3-5 minutes. Serve.

Good luck, and remember, don't stack the pork chops, don't overcook them as they will dry out.
Thank you! Sounds good!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Hey Greg I'm cooking at at a church camp the month of June. I work as a cook at school so I'm used to fixing large amounts but we use mostly prepared food. Also I have more to work with. I have volunteers who are in and out to help with some of the cooking. Mostly it's just me though.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy4331 View Post
Hey Greg I'm cooking at at a church camp the month of June. I work as a cook at school so I'm used to fixing large amounts but we use mostly prepared food. Also I have more to work with. I have volunteers who are in and out to help with some of the cooking. Mostly it's just me though.
I was worried that you were jumping in over your head. I'm relieved to know that apparently you have good help and evidently you have most of your day to deal with it.

It sounds like a fun challenge!

Tags
cook, pork