"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

What's the best way to cook pork chops for around 80?

I tried lightly browning and putting in a large roaster but they were a little soggy and the ones on the bottom fell apart when I tried to serve them. Also what would be good for seasoning them? Thanks!

Old 06-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Buonasera,

I had placed a recipe in the Pork & Veal Section back in March, in which the Butcher makes a Slit for a pocket, in each thick chop ( one can use pork or veal), and thus, I prepare a stuffing to be placed in each chop and then, bake in oven ...

The Italian Paternal side of my family, stuffing includes:

3/4 ounces dried Porcini Mushrms
1 cup hot water
1 tsp butter unsalted
1 tblsp. Extra virgin olive oil
salt
spring onion (3 ) chopped finely
3 oz. Finely sliced Proscuitto di Parma or Ham of choice
freshly ground blk. pepper

The recipe has a lovely historic Sicilian aristocratic background too.

Ciao.
Have a Nice Monday.
Margaux Cintrano.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Preheat oven to 400F.

Lightly brush grease on a large cookie sheet with olive or vegetable oil. Heat in oven while you are preparing chops.

Dredge chops in seasoned flour. I use salt, pepper, with Italian seasoning, onion and garlic powder.

Place chops on cookie tray with sides. The chops should sizzle when you put them on cookie tray. Place in oven and cook one side until a crust is formed. Turn chops over and cook other side. Remove from oven and place on a rack single layer if possible, cover with foil. Use more than one rack if you have them. Repeat. You should be able to do two trays at a time. If you do, then rotate them by switching shelves and turning trays around. When you turn the chops over, it will take less time to saute' that side.

When all the chops are done, pour a some chicken stock on the trays and loosen the fond. Pour into a saucepan and make gravy.

By placing the chops on a rack, it allows air to circulate and prevents sogginess from occurring. Shut the oven off when all the chops are done and allow it to cool down by cracking the door. When it is down to about 250F place the racks of pork chops in the oven still covered to keep warm until serving.

If you have only one rack, then try not to place one chop directly on top of another. That will cause sogginess. Lean the edge of a chop against the previous one so that the air can circulate. The outside will be crisp while the inside will be juicy and moist.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Buonasera Cindy,

Soggy ... Were they de-thawed from freezer creating the wetness ?
Another, might be the grease factor, for example too much butter or too much oil used ?

I have a recipe that is quite lovely, Sicilian Pork Chops, which is posted on a separate thread ... It has slits, and is stuffed with mushrooms and ham. I have made this recipe with veal in Italia ...

First, the solving of the soggy or wetness ... and then, the new recipe is a good way to go.

Ciao, Margi.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Master Chef

If you have the oven space I would consider stuffed pork chops.

Brown the chops and place in sheet pans with a rim, place a half cup of your favorite bread stuffing on each and bake in a 350 oven for 45 minutes or so. An ice cream scoop works great to portion the dressing

Another would be oven bar-b-q.

Brown and arrange on pans, top with sliced onions and your favorite barbeque sauce then bake uncovered for 45 minute in a 350 oven.

If you are using 'kid' sized thin chops you might want to cut back on the time a little.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Sous Chef

80 people? I would add some garlic granules and pepper to some Dixie Fry, coat the chops, lay them flat on Pam sprayed foiled baking sheets, dab them with some butter, bake at 350-375 according to the size of the chops. I do this several times a year using the huge chops from Costco and feed about 20-25 family members.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Master Chef

Another thought that would be easier on the cook is to do a couple of boneless pork loin roasts. I would think 25 to 30 pounds would feed 80 people. If you make too much feed them pork sandwiches or a stir fry the next day.

I hope you are keeping good notes on what works and what does not, you could help many many camp cooks in years to come.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Another thought that would be easier on the cook is to do a couple of boneless pork loin roasts. I would think 25 to 30 pounds would feed 80 people. If you make too much feed them pork sandwiches or a stir fry the next day.
+1

Cindy, how often have you cooked for 80 people? And what is your experience serving large groups of any size? Also, what kind of assistance (helpers) will you have available?

I'm not experienced in cooking for groups at all but I think all these are important questions to be asked, and addressed.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea

I hope you are keeping good notes on what works and what does not, you could help many many camp cooks in years to come.
+2
Old 06-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
+1

Cindy, how often have you cooked for 80 people? And what is your experience serving large groups of any size? Also, what kind of assistance (helpers) will you have available?

I'm not experienced in cooking for groups at all but I think all these are important questions to be asked, and addressed.
I was thinking the same thoughts. I once had a job working in the kitchen that fed about 100 folks in a nursing home. Getting all the food cooked and finished at the same time, then to the patients while it was still hot was the challenge each day, three times a day. For kids, like the elderly, you have to keep it simple. They are not going to want to eat anything exotic that they are not familiar with. You have to use the KISS thought process. They want to see what the food is on their plate and be able to identify it.

BTW Cindy. One of the breakfasts that is fast and easy is Baked French Toast. Beat up one egg per persn, place a layer of bread in a greased baking pan, then pour some of the the beaten eggs over it. A layer of bread, some eggs. Let the eggs stand to give it time to be absorbed by the bread. Then bake in the oven. Two layers should be enough. Two pieces for each kid. The bottom piece gets browned by the pan, the top piece by the circulating heat of the oven. Place jam, syrup, butter on the table.

Of course you are going to hear, "This isn't the way my mother makes it."

Tags
cook, pork