"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 12-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
What Frank said...
I kinda like natural casings myself. In my eyes natural is usually better. Mom raised me on natural/organic/home grown (she had a green thumb, not me). She read many books by nutritionists. Shopped at farms and health food stores etc. She would call Carlton Fredericks and talk to him when he had his Nutrition radio talk show on WOR AM radio (NY/NJ area not sure if he was nation wide in the 60's. We also listened to Gene Shepard). I have never and probably never will try chitlins but that is my choice.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #22
Executive Chef

i guess i was just trying to make the point that if intestines used for sausage casings are hunky-dory with most folks, then why not give poor misunderstood chitlins a pass too....:)

Old 12-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i guess i was just trying to make the point that if intestines used for sausage casings are hunky-dory with most folks, then why not give poor misunderstood chitlins a pass too....:)
If you want to eat them that is your choice. There are many things I won't eat but I won't stop someone else from eating it. To each there own. My uncle was raised down south and he ate them along with many other things I don't want to think about. LOL He was one of 19 children during the depression.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I've never had the opportunity to have them. I'm not totally opposed but they don't particularly interest me either. I've watched Andrew Zimmern eat them in various forms but to me, casings are just a convenient way to package sausage meat.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've never had the opportunity to have them. I'm not totally opposed but they don't particularly interest me either. I've watched Andrew Zimmern eat them in various forms but to me, casings are just a convenient way to package sausage meat.
I've tried them on two occasions. Not good or bad in any memorable way. I'm after what's inside the casing, not the wrapper. Any tiny particles of feces left in the casing has been sterilized anyway. We've probably all eaten some of it with what the FDA allows to be in foods. I assume you've all seen the lists of things by weight that are allowed to be in processed foods.

I have the stomach from hell anyway. I'm like a goat. I can eat anything, and probably have.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Most commercial sausage these days uses collagen casings, not intestine casings. though it isn't hard to find traditional cased sausage.
Smith's hot dogs uses lamb casing. It's what gives them their snap when you bite into them according to their website. Good stuff.

Vit, I have no problem eating natural casing, it's when it is the main feature or ingredient in the dish itself, plus the preparation of chitterlings, that would have me passing them by. Not to mention the smell mentioned in that show I saw them on. Smell is what kept me from eating cabbage as a kid, lol.
It's no big deal, not everyone eats the same foods, as the "plate" thread shows. There are many parts of the pig I would not eat.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #27
Executive Chef

whew, after all this vilifying and defending, i've plumb lost my enthusiasm for chitlins for the moment...somebody told me once that the tom petty song, i won't back down might have been written for me: "and i'll keep this world from draggin' me down/gonna stand my ground/and i won't back down." if i am that way--i can get a bit carried away at times, then know that i'm right now, right this minute, backing down....:)
Old 12-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
whew, after all this vilifying and defending, i've plumb lost my enthusiasm for chitlins for the moment...somebody told me once that the tom petty song, i won't back down might have been written for me: "and i'll keep this world from draggin' me down/gonna stand my ground/and i won't back down." if i am that way--i can get a bit carried away at times, then know that i'm right now, right this minute, backing down....:)
Yikes! I didn't mean to dissuade you from trying them. You may love them. They just did nothing for me. Sorry if I caused you to give up without a try. Go for it. Only you will know your own feelings for them.

Hey, how can I talk? I can't pass up a piece of raw fish without eating it.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Yikes! I didn't mean to dissuade you from trying them. You may love them. They just did nothing for me. Sorry if I caused you to give up without a try. Go for it. Only you will know your own feelings for them.

Hey, how can I talk? I can't pass up a piece of raw fish without eating it.
EWWWWWWWWWWWW
Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #30
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I'd give them a try if I had the chance, but I don't really feel like buying them and cooking them myself.

Tags
other