"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 04-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #51
Executive Chef

@ Vitauta: Callos a Las Madrileños

Good Morning Vitauta,

Madrid Tapas Bars prepare a spicy tasty renowned Tapa called:

Callos a Las Madrileñas which is actually Tripe ( organ meats ) in a Piquant Tomato Smoked Chili Pepper based thick sauce with lots of bread to soak up the fab sauce. It is quite delicious, in spite of fact that the name of the dish can be a turn-off ! Believe me, it is scrumptuous with a good red wine. There is one Restaurant we go to, Casa Domingo´s ( 1899 ) which is located at Calle Alcalá 99, across from Plaza de La Independencia and Retiro Park in the Capital which is renowned for this dish since 1899.

I am fully aware that Spaniards who are in the Pork Farming & Butchering Industries, where they have Pork Farms in the Castilla León provinces and in Andalusia, probably do eat Chitterings, though this British Word, is not used for this dish. There is a USA word, however, off top, cannot remember it ...

*** If you enjoy this dish of Chitterings, then, go for it lady !

I am sure that this sauce for the Callos which are Tripe, would work for the Chitterings.

*** I have a very good recipe for Callos which I could translate during the week, if you wish to try it.

Have a lovely Sunday.
Margi.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #52
Executive Chef

just an update on my chitlins' rant of some months ago for anyone who's interested: i finally had some chitlins' without having to clean or cook them myself some while after our little discussion here. it still surprises me that most of the people responding to this thread titled "who here likes chitterlings" and one where i was seeking a recipe, preferred to spend their time describing their loathing and disgust with everything to do with chitterlings.

there's this small local ma and pa deli/sandwich place nearby where i live. one day i walked in there to this horrible stench that could be nothing other than chitterlings cooking. the gray haired lady at the cash register was complaining loudly that she might not survive the day...well, i returned two hours later when the chitterlings were ready (spared the bad smell of them cooking the whole time) and got me two steaming plates to carry home, along lots of vinegar, hot sauce, and GREENS, he had even cooked some collards to go with his wonderful chitterling dish that day! were the gods smiling down on me or what? i pigged out on those soft chewy strips til i could no longer raise my fork to my mouth...i don't need chitterlings very often--but it's a rare and indescribable treat in my life of food delights that i always remember in my mind for a very looong time afterwards--that is, til the next time, of course.... ;)

Old 04-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #53
Executive Chef

Vitauta,

Pleased to hear about your hitting on this Mom & Pop find with hot sauce. Glad to hear you have enjoyed your chitterings.

Now, you should try CALLOS ( tripe in piquant sauce ).

Have nice Sunday.
Margi.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #54
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Vitauta,

Pleased to hear about your hitting on this Mom & Pop find with hot sauce. Glad to hear you have enjoyed your chitterings.

Now, you should try CALLOS ( tripe in piquant sauce ).

Have nice Sunday.
Margi.

yes, please margi, when you have the time, i would love your recipe for callos--thank you! i never know when that crazy yen for organ meats will strike again, but i look forward to it....
Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #55
Assistant Cook

chitlins and greens inside at the same time?!? somebody has no sense of smell. about the vinegar would that be malt vinegar? Or some other type?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #56
Executive Chef

Good Afternoon Virauta,
I shall post the Callos a Las Madrileñas for you under Pork ( Tapas ) tomorrow as we have bank holidays here in Spain 1st through 5th ... It is a week long array of holidays, including Labor Day and Cinco de Mayo ... Shall do !

*** Note: these callos = tripe are tender tender morsels ... very nice, and not at all, dis-appetising ... Look like calamari however, they are tripe parts of either pork or veal.

Have nice Sunday ... Trying to upload some fotos now.
Margi.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #57
Executive Chef

just plain old distilled white vinegar is what i've always had with my chitlins'. is malt vinegar better, you think? to tell the truth, i've never been very experimental with my vinegars, and use them sparingly....
Old 04-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Good Afternoon Virauta,
I shall post the Callos a Las Madrileñas for you under Pork ( Tapas ) tomorrow as we have bank holidays here in Spain 1st through 5th ... It is a week long array of holidays, including Labor Day and Cinco de Mayo ... Shall do !

*** Note: these callos = tripe are tender tender morsels ... very nice, and not at all, dis-appetising ... Look like calamari however, they are tripe parts of either pork or veal.

Have nice Sunday ... Trying to upload some fotos now.
Margi.
margi, i do believe you may have aroused a sudden desire in me for some tender tripe, which i last tasted more than twenty years ago at a lovely little french bistro in georgetown. memorable. oh the many dangerous food temptations of this dc forum...ain't it grand tho?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #59
Head Chef

I grew up eating chitterlings, and I like them. To each his own!
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #60
Assistant Cook

ive never used vinegar of any kind i stick to hot sauce. Malt vinegar is popular here for fish doesnt quite have the bite of regular vinegar.

Tags
other