Who here likes chitterlings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
margi, i do believe you may have aroused a sudden desire in me for some tender tripe, which i last tasted more than twenty years ago at a lovely little french bistro in georgetown. memorable. oh the many dangerous food temptations of this dc forum...ain't it grand tho?

Here in the community where I live, Tripe is served every Saturday for lunch. We have an elegant type restaurant here. The kind you would wear a black tie to take your date out for a meal. But come Saturday, they serve Tripe for lunch and can't dish it out fast enough. Big hit in the Italian home.

Last edited:
Here in the community where I live, Tripe is served every Saturday for lunch. We have an elegant type restaurant here. The kind you would wear a black tie to take your date out for a meal. But come Saturday, they serve Tripe for lunch and can't dish it out fast enough. Big hit in the Italian home.

addie, i have already been envying for some time your easy access to a variety of fresh seafood, living in boston, as you do. now i have to hear about your tripe saturdays too? sheesh. what's coming next, i'm wondering--maybe sunday morning sushi delivered to my door, yumm, along with my daily newspapers....:)

addie, i have already been envying for some time your easy access to a variety of fresh seafood, living in Boston, as you do. now i have to hear about your tripe Saturdays too? sheesh. what's coming next, I'm wondering--maybe Sunday morning sushi delivered to my door, yumm, along with my daily newspapers....:)

Tripe Saturday is like a religious day here. The wives clean their homes from top to bottom and the men get out of the way and gather at their favorite Italian restaurant for a bowl of tripe. You can get a cup, bowl, or a large bowl. I have never heard of any of the men ever buying a cup of tripe. It is always the super size bowl. On nice sunny days in the summer, most of the restaurants have outside tables. They all sit out there with their bowl of tripe and a loaf of Italian bread. Each table gets a loaf for everyone to pull off pieces. They use it to sop up the juices when all the tripe is gone.

Then someone has brought a gallon jug of homemade Italian wine. Everyone gets some and then they light up their stogies. Those are little Italian cigars. Smell like an outhouse. They sit, argue, talk politics, bang the table, and when all the wine is gone, they head to someones back yard to play bocci ball. This part only happens in warm weather when they can sit outside. All this in Italian. Not a word of English is spoken. The wives won't let them speak Italian in the home in front of the kids.

In my world, this is all natural to me. This is Saturday. But my community is in transition. We now have more Latinos than Italians. The only stronghold for the Italians is down at Jeffries Point. It consists of triple deckers and the Italians own them. The owner lives of the second floor and relatives rents the other two floors. I know and they know that discrimination is illegal. But they will not rent to Latinos. Only other Italians and Americans like myself. We still have a number of Italian bakeries, restaurants, and other businesses owned and run by Italians. If you really want to delve into real Italian ways, then you need to go across the river to the North End. It is like you just stepped off the boat and landed in Italy. The North End is another whole story. :chef:

you are a natural born story teller, addie. your posts are rich with history, humanity and humor. i can just imagine the symphony of an addie and luca collaboration.... :)

you are a natural born story teller, addie. your posts are rich with history, humanity and humor. i can just imagine the symphony of an addie and luca collaboration.... :)

Thank you. But I do tend to get carried away sometimes. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom