Who here likes chitterlings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
the few times i've had chitterlings, i've thoroughly enjoyed them! i'm not sure if i would remember how to make them again today though. chitterlings smell godawful while they are cooking, and actually, smell pretty bad on your plate too. but i guess like with some good aged cheeses, once you make the trip to your mouth, you are richly rewarded for your efforts.:) i know it's holiday time and all, and here i am going on about chitterlings--sorry. but all the talk recently about headcheese and pickled pigs feet got me to craving some chitterlings. does anybody have a recipe to share? i have never had them fried--only boiled. but i would be interested in any good chitterlings recipe, and i thank you in advance....:)

Trusting the person who cleaned the chitterlings is very important. Care must be taken when preparing chitterlings, due to the possibility of disease being spread when they have not been cleaned or cooked properly. These diseases and bacteria include E. coli and Yersinia enterocolitica, as well as Salmonella.

The chitterlings are turned inside out, cleaned and boiled, sometimes in baking soda, and the water is discarded. The chitterlings can then be used in a recipe.

A common practice is to place a halved onion in the pot to mitigate what many regard as a pungent, very unpleasant odor that can be particularly strong when the chitterlings begin to cook.

Common serving technique is with a vinegar based hot sauce and BBQ sauce. The vinegar odor and taste will disguise any remaining odor from the chitterlings.

Personally, I don't eat them. There are too many other foods available to resort to eating a pigs poop chute IMHO.:ohmy::ohmy::(:(:chef:

The risks outweigh the benefits, again, IMHO.:glare::glare::ermm:

man tim, you sure know how to almost quash an innocent chittlin' craving!! :( the cleaning part of the chitterlings project, i have well in hand--lots of soaking, scraping and rinsing--over and overandover again...:)

man tim, you sure know how to almost quash an innocent chittlin' craving!! :( the cleaning part of the chitterlings project, i have well in hand--lots of soaking, scraping and rinsing--over and overandover again...:)

Sorry vitauta, it's a matter of exactly *what* you're eating! As long as you know to an absolute, that they were cleaned and prepped properly, chittlin's are ok to me, but not anything I would go out of my way to find.

Kind of like roasted sheep eyes.

I've cooked them, and I've tried many times to eat them, but I just can't. Although I enjoy aged cheeses, and even the ones that are stinky when not aged, the smell of chitt'lin's just stops me cold. Like durian.

I saw them made in a diner on that Hairy Bikers show, right after they cooked the roadkill opossum or something.
I'll pass.

And most people eat sausage without even thinking of WHAT that casing/tube is.

Most commercial sausage these days uses collagen casings, not intestine casings. though it isn't hard to find traditional cased sausage.

yeah, thanks msmofet! so, tim, do you know or check just how thoroughly the casings for the sausage you are eating are being cleaned? are you still eating and enjoying sausages? pac, andy?:)

Are you on a mission to gross out everybody here?

Are you on a mission to gross out everybody here?

no andy, if you scroll back to the beginning of this post, you will see that my only mission was to obtain a good recipe for chitlins.:innocent: my apologies if my food choices/preferences have grossed out some folks--not at all my intention.

i have always looked for the sausage with the traditional (natural) casings. i thought they were somehow superior to the imitation ones....

Most commercial sausage these days uses collagen casings, not intestine casings. though it isn't hard to find traditional cased sausage.

Frank used natural casings when we made sausage. It turned out great. Try some of the recipes on the link from LiveStrong. I'd try them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom