"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Old 09-29-2006, 04:20 PM   #11
That's good to hear how everybody enjoyed their experience with the roasted pig. My fiance has already found the pig through one of his family members who has offered to cook (more like jump at the chance) to cook it since he has the stuff to do it. We just weren't sure what was the best recipe to use to cook it. But if we have to we've found a couple of places that will cook it for us. Hopefully all works out or everybody will just have to eat the brisket and chicken

Confucius-"Everyone eats and drinks; yet only few appreciate the taste of food"
Sugar N' Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:28 PM   #12
Head Chef
Lechon, or pig roasted on a spit is a mainstay of every barrio fiesta in the Philippines,and also during special celebrations like weddings, big birthdays, Christmas, and New Year's Eve. A whole pig is cleaned out of its entrails, stuffed with banana leaves, spices and seasonings (such as lemon grass, scallions, and lots of rock salt) - sometimes with paella - and roasted slowly over live coals while the skin is brushed with oil colored with achuete (from annatto seeds) to achieve that deep reddish brown color. One can buy them whole or by the kilo at the big supermarkets. There's an old street in Manila that is well-known for its all-year-round rows of lechon outlets displaying freshly roasted lechons.

Young pigs are best for lechon - the rind is thin and there is very little fat. Good lechon has a very crisp crunchy skin, little fat underneath, and moist tasty meat.

There's a popular Spanish bistro in Manila whose house specialty is Cochinillo, which is essentially roast suckling pig. You have to order it 2 days in advance. They make a grand spectacle of serving it too. The whole roast piglet is presented on a side table, and the server uses a ceramic plate, yes a plate, to quickly and loudly chop up the cochinillo, making a volley of noises that sounds like flamenco music. The use of the plate is to show just how thin and crisp the skin is, and how tender the meat and bones are. And the taste? It's melt-in-your-mouth heavenly.

Best wishes on your wedding Sugar 'n Spice!

'Never eat more than you can lift.' - Miss Piggy
Chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:22 AM   #13
Sous Chef
We had a pig roast every year for about 27 years! They are wonderful and so tasty - good luck with yours at your wedding, hope you enjoy!

For the majority of years doing this we raised our own pigs and had a company come to slaughter and 'scrape' the pig, which is the way we preferred them. Later years when we had to purchase them, for some reason everyone skinned the pigs. I thot they were a lot moister (a word?) having been scraped rather than skinned. But...skinned was still very good!
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:57 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
i've roasted a pig on a spit every year for the past 13 years or so at my old friend's birthday party. we've also done lambs, but pigs are more popular.

i usually pick up a 100 to 125 pound dressed pig, and it is cooked for 10 to 12 hours, turning very slowly over a mix of lump hardwood and briquette charcoal.
another friend, a welder, built the spit and charcoal "table" and connected a low rpm motor and a bicycle chain/sprocket to the spit. once the pig is up, it's just a matter of continually mopping the beast. (and fending off prematurely hungry guests and their kids; and even their dogs!)

our favourite mop sauce is a mix of honey, bbq sauce, and gulden's spicy brown mustard.

btw, drama queen, killing and cleaning a 225 lb. pig ain't no easy task!
we decided to "do it the right way" one year, and got a live 125 lb. pig.
the farmer said to just hold him down, and give him a good whack on the skull with a 10 lb sledge. it seemed a little barbaric, but you can't use firearms in city limits, and no one wanted to use their chain saw, so we gave it a try. (if our welder buddy was available, we wanted to get him to make a guillotine).
15 or 20 blows later, the pig finally stopped screaming. we all had nightmares for weeks after that.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:22 AM   #15
Senior Cook
Wow, I guess I'd have nightmares too after that one. Joe has a pistol, puts it against the pig's forehead and the pig is dead before he hits the ground. He lives in a rural area so firearms for this purpose are okay.
VegasDramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #16
Master Chef
That's a little too "made from scratch" for me. I want the pig killed and cleaned before I have anything to do with it.
That's what I told my husband about the venison when he started hunting. I don't want to see it until it's a piece of meat.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #17
Head Chef
I am sorry that I cannot help but the last time I had a Whole Roasted Pig was when I was in Hawaii. It was very tasty and my husband and I enjoyed it very much.

Our wonderful cooks and chefs will certainly come up with something for you.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:13 PM   #18
Thanks everyone for all your replies, sounds like alot of you guys have some interesting pig roasting stories, lol. I'm looking forward to see how well it turns out, hopefully my fiance doesn't give me any descriptions about how the pig was killed.

Confucius-"Everyone eats and drinks; yet only few appreciate the taste of food"
Sugar N' Spice is offline   Reply With Quote