"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 09-29-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
Cook

Whole Roasted Pig

Okay, I'm getting married in late November and I was wanting to have a whole roasted pig at my wedding since it is Chinese tradition to have one at your wedding. Does anyone have any ideas on how to cook one or any recipes? It doesn't necessarily have to be a chinese recipe, we are actually having brisket and chicken served too so it can be bbq styled.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
Master Chef

Our friend, Dew, used to roast a whole hog for parties. The hog went on a spit over the fire, and they had to start it the day before and let it cook all night. Dew stuffed the inside full of onions, apples, oranges, lemons, and whole heads of garlic. I'm not sure how he seasoned the outside, but I'll be seeing his wife this weekend, and I'll see if she remembers.
We've cooked whole hogs before, but we cut ours into pieces, so they would cook faster.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
What fun!!
We do whole lambs at Easter but have never tried a pig.
I bet what ever you end up doing with it it'll be delish!!!
Old 09-29-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

You can buy a cooking box to cook it in and then have it for yourselves. It is apparently absolutely delicious. Someone will know the name--or I'll find it.
Why not just fix a lot of pulled pork using the shoulder?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
Hospitality Queen

I went to the County Fair a couple of weeks ago - here's a roast pig in action.
Looks like you could duplicate the cinder blocks and put up a spit on them like these guys did.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
Senior Cook

You should ask cjs [Jean] she and her hubby used to do it all the time at home.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
Master Chef

While I can't give you specifics, I KNOW that I've enjoyed reading articles about whole pig roasts in Texas. I think you just need to do a little research & you'll find someone to supply this easily.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
Head Chef

My dad held a pig roast some years back. He hired an outfit that brought the pig, the roaster, etc to our house and set it up. It turned on a rotisserie for 24 hours, boy was it good! He only had to stoke the coals and keep an eye on it while it cooked.

Then the company came back the day after the pig roast and took the roaster away.

I would contact party planners in your area, maybe they can recommend a company like that. It was too easy and everyone loved the roast pig.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I have a pig roast party every Memorial Day....but rather than the add roasting the pig myself to the other thousand things I have to attend to to host this party (Usually about 65 people), I've had the pig delivered, completely roasted and lay out for me. There are many places that offer this service if you don't think you can add this chore to your list of things to do.

Happy Wedding.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:33 PM   #10
Senior Cook

A couple of friends and I are in charge of throwing a pig roast every summer at the RV Resort here in Traverse City, Michigan. We have a friend who does this and he buys a 225 lb. pig, kills it, dresses it and spit roasts it over charcoal for about 6 hours. The meat falls off the bone and the skin is crispy and people fight over it. A 225 lb. pig will yield about 65 to 70 lbs. of edible meat. This pig is done right down to the bone. He mops it with his own fantastic mixture of bbq sauce and we never, but never have a bit left. We fed 110 people this summer. I have pictures but I don't know how to put them on this site.

Tags
None