"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 09-26-2004, 01:49 PM   #11
Executive Chef

"Grandma's pork chops' - this is the way she did it - I've never been able to exactly duplicate it, but close!

Make a seasoned flour mixture of flour, s/p, lots of dried sage, a little garlic powder. Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium high, dip pork chops in flour to coat well. Put chops in skillet, cook to brown on each side; drain any x-tra oil, put about 1/4 cup of water in the skillet, cover skillet and lower heat to med. low; cook til done and tender in the middle. Remove lid, turn heat back up to 'crisp' them a little. Remove the chops and make a pan gravy by adding a little oil to the skillet; use some of the leftover flour mixture; cook that up a minute or so, then add water/milk/stock to make a gravy; season the gravy if needed with more s/p and sage.

Re someone's comment about not being able to find loin chops with enuf fat on them anymore - shop around! I found, both in Jersey and here in SC, if I look at the -how do I say this without offending anyone, which I certainly don't mean to do - more ethnically oriented groceries, the pork selection is better, and looks like pork is supposed to look. The high end groceries trim the heck out of their meat to appeal to the 'yuppie' crowd.
Point - shop where the common folk shop!

Old 09-26-2004, 04:02 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Pork Chops with Mushroom gravy

4 pork chops
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons oil

1. Brown the pork chops in the oil while they are browning, mix the cream of mushroom soup and onion soup mix together with one can of water.
2. After chops are browned add the mixture to the frying pan with the chops and simmer for about 45 minutes covered. Serve with mashed potatoes.

Old 09-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang

4 pork chops
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons oil

1. Brown the pork chops in the oil while they are browning, mix the cream of mushroom soup and onion soup mix together with one can of water.
2. After chops are browned add the mixture to the frying pan with the chops and simmer for about 45 minutes covered. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Hey!!! What about that recipe with the cider cream gravy? I was gonna do that one later this week.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:47 PM   #14
Master Chef

Pork chops come out so juicy when dipped in egg-wash, flour, egg-wash, then breadcrumbs. They can then be lightly fried in about an inch of cooking oil until done through, or fried and finished in the oven, or just baked until done. They can be placed atop a rice pilaf, or on a cookie sheet.

I'm going to recomend something just a bit different. Dip the chops into egg-wash, then flour, and fry in oil until lightly browned. Then finish by placing on a cookie sheet and baking for 20 minutes in the oven. While the chops are finishing, pour off as much oil as possible, leaving most of the solid particles in the pan. Deglaze the pan with 3 tbs. dry Sherrie, or Marsala wine (this is strange for me because though I detest the flavor of all alcoholic beverages, this dish tastes good to me). Remove the chops from the oven and place in the pan with the wine. Cover and cook for five additional minutes. Serve with a good wild and brown rice pilaf and a baby spinach salad with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Yum. :D

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 11:19 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang

4 pork chops
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons oil

Hey!!! What about that recipe with the cider cream gravy? I was gonna do that one later this week.
Try it and let me know how you like it.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:50 AM   #16

sounds really good and easy Bang!
Old 09-28-2004, 03:40 PM   #17
Master Chef

Wow everyone......thanks so much for the great recipes I can't wait to try them out.

Juliev.....what kind of wine do you use? I don't cook with wine.....actually the only kind I've tried that I like (not a lot of experience) is Reunite Lambrusco but I usually end up drinking the whole bottle...... :D
Old 09-28-2004, 07:09 PM   #18

I use burgundy.. but you can use lambrusco.. if you don't wanna use the wine.. use beef broth.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:36 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I generally cook pork chops by three methods: On the grill w/ fresh rosemary; braised w/ apples & onions; and a more elegant entrée in which loin chops are served w/ pecan-cream sauce, wild rice, tomatoes stuffed w/ a vegetable vinaigrette, and, of course, hot rolls. For the latter you will need….

3 Tbsp vegetable oil
½ oz. butter
¾ cup minced onion
½ lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 center-cut loin pork chops, ¾-inch thick
½ cup dry white wine
salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper
4 fl. oz. heavy cream
1/3 cup broken pecans
about 3 Tbsp Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Heat oil & butter in skillet over med. heat until butter foams. As foams subsides, add onion; sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft, but not browned. Add mushrooms; sauté, stirring, until lightly browned. Remove onion & mushrooms; reserve.

Add pork chops to skillet; increase heat to med-high. Cook chops until browned on both sides. Remove pan briefly from heat; top slightly & spoon off as much rendered fat as possible. Set skillet over low heat; add reserved vegetables, plus the wine, salt, & pepper. Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes.

Stir cream, pecans, and parsley into sauce mixture; increase heat to med-high. Cook, uncovered until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Transfer chops to warmed serving platter, then pour over the sauce. Serve pronto!
Old 04-16-2005, 01:42 AM   #20
Master Chef

Since I got some pork chops out of the freezer and have not cooked them, I thought I would search for some recipes. Bang, I love cream of mushroom soup. WayneT's recipe sounds good, also. In fact, they all sound good. Thanks for posting these recipes, everyone.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None