"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Veal

Old 08-02-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Calf Liver

Calf liver is delicate and delicious. I have a bit of a surfeit of it in my freezer and would like suggestions on serving. I know I could browse recipe sites etc. but I'd like to know what you have tried and tasted/tested.

(Here in Scotland, the football (soccer) season is just about to get underway and every Saturday my wife and daughter abandon the house as I have the lads round for lunch before the game. They too love veal/liver)

p.s. Happy to have joined this forum.

Thanks

Old 08-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We LOVE liver!

I just salt and pepper it then dust with flour and brown in veggie oil.
Don't over cook or it gets tough. Yep. Plain and boring but it's oh so good served with some grilled onions.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I've loved liver since I was a little kid. In fact, I used to eat the leftovers as cold liver sandwiches!

I like to start by cooking bacon in the pan and then draining off most of the fat and cooking the liver and onions in the bacon fat.

Imo, the secret to great liver is not cooking it too long. Otherwise it turns into an old shoe sole. In fact, I think overcooking (also read "well done") is the nemesis of most meat, especially organ meat.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
oh.. I'm going to try it in bacon fat next time. lol.. all the more yummy and healthy!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Master Chef

Calves liver is one of the very few foods that I hated as a child & still hate today - lol!!

That said, the one way my mother made it that always had me cleaning my plate was when she first lightly sauteed it, & then served it in a white wine mushroom cream sauce.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Well, cooked some tonight.

Slow fried red onion until it was really soft, in a light olive oil.
Removed onion.
Added butter to the pan w/ four freshly picked sage leaves from my well watered (Scottish rain!) garden.
Brought butter to sizzling and flash fried the liver for 20-30 seconds (cut into small squares).
Removed liver. (Ooo! sounds surgical)
Returned onions to pan with generous handful of parsley from garden.
Fried until browning - added liver - added reduced balsamic. A quick stir.
Served.
Beautiful.

I have always quickly fried calf liver. I just wondered if there was an alternative - braising etc.
I suppose simplest is best.

I like Breezy's idea of a sauce though. Mmm..?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
Master Chef

I'm with those who have loved liver of all sorts since the day I was born. I rarely fix beef liver myself, only because local restaurant does it so well. But the last time it wasn't up to par. I actually had to send it back, someting I rarely do.

My mom spent hours de-veining liver when I was a kid, so I've never actually dealt with beef (veal, pork) liver at home. Is the deveining as difficult and messy as I remember?

I'm a true liver lover.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I love calves liver, but don't like lamb or pig's liver... they smell kinda 'wild' when cooking to my nose.

I only cook liver in the winter (don't know why) and serve with mashed potatoes and a carrot and onion gravy.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
Head Chef

I am not a huge liver fan, perhaps it has to do with it being forced upon me as a child. If you like curry then I suggest trying to cook liver the way I listed below and see if you like it. The spices do ease the strong taste of the liver and it goes well with roti bread.

Any kind of liver ( I have only used goat or lamb) cut into thin small strips
1 large onion finely chopped
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
3 large tomatoes finely chopped
2 tbsp of oil
2 tsp of garam masala powder (if you don't have it make your own - 2 tsp black peppercorns, 1 stick of cinnamon, 1 tsp of cloves, 3 cardamom powdered)
salt to taste
1 green chili finely chopped
1/2 tsp of turmeric
1 tsp of paprika or red chili if you like it spicy
2 tsp of cumin powder
1 tsp of corrainder powder
cilantro for garnish
1 cup of water

In a pan add the oil. Once it's hot saute the onions until translucent, next add the ginger, dry spices and tomatoes and continue to saute until the tomatoes turn into a mush. Next add the water, and liver and let it all cook unitl the liver is done. Garnish with cilantro and chopped green chilis and serve.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
Executive Chef

traditional for me would be liver cooked with onions and bacon. However, lightly flour and saute liver, and serve with a spicey tomato sauce or compote. Really good that way, with a side of dark leafy greens of choice sauteed in garlic and oil. Steamed couscous for your starch. Fast and delicious.

Tags
None