"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Veal
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 04:03 PM   #21
Executive Chef

It is what it is. Top of the food chain. Maybe one day there will be some large carnivorous beasts all with an average 160+ IQ and then we'll all be toast and running for our lives. But until then, eat it, enjoy it.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:52 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I eat and enjoy most meats. I do not sanction cruelty to animals which is why I put my money where my mouth is by buying organic meat - and know where that meat was raised (less than 20 miles away from the butcher's shop where I buy it!), free range, organic eggs, organic vegetables and where possible organic fruit.

Doesn't mean I would ever stop anyone else from eating any foodstuff they want - I am not a member of PETA.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #23
Master Chef

Did you ever stop to consider the mentality of these animals? Chickens, turkeys, cattle and sheep are REALLY dumb. A tame turkey will actually drown in the rain, because he looks up to see where it's coming from.

The pigs are the only ones that have any sense. But they are not like the sweet little pot-belly pigs that people make pets of. They are mean and vicious animals who will eat ther young if they get in a bad mood. A sow with young will attack anyone or thing that startles her, and the boars...forget it.
We had a local farmer who had a heart attack while he was out slopping the hogs, and they ate him. True fact.

In Illinois, we have a lot of giant factory farms. Hogs are big business here. There are also many large poultry operations, and we have our fair share of cattle.
I must say, I have never been in a slaughter house, or visited the hog or chicken operations. And, really, I don't want to know.

I do much prefer the new pork to the old greasy, whangy stuff we used to get, but I think that's largly due to breeding and diet. We have friends that raise a few hogs, and they are mighty durned good.
On the other hand, I never cared for their chickens. They fed them a good diet, but I could still taste the grasshoppers.
I love the country eggs, but you have to be more careful with them. It really depends on how well the chickens are cared for. I've been in lovely little hen houses, with well-fed, happy hens, and it's a thrill to feel under the chickens and gather the eggs. I've also seen chickens that were not that well-tended. Nuff said.

I'd be the first one to fight cruelty to animals, but certain animals were put here for food..."the fowl of the air, the fish of the sea, and the cattle of the land". It is easy to feel bad about killing sweet bunnies or Bambi, but the way these creatures multiply is reason enough to know that they were intended for food.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:20 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Factory Farms destroy the environment, allow desease to develop and infest the animals because of the unsanitary conditions inherant in such methods, and lower property values in addition to the unconscionable cruelty involved.
I value my health, that is why I eat NO animal products.

Diane
Old 06-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Factrory farms provide reasonably priced, high quality meats, poultry, vegetables , grains, dairy and eggs for the American consumer as well as consumers in other parts of the world. The quality of foods available to the average American consumer is second to none.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:08 PM   #26
Executive Chef

I teach the children and young adults of farmers and have for all my professioanl life. I have the greatest respect for their business practices, their agricultural knoweldge, and their professional and ethical practices. I have learned much from farmers and hunters about stewardship of resources and proper management. The farm that raises pigs for Hatfield, the dairy providing milk and cream for Land O'Lakes, the farm raising poultry for Purdue, or growing feed crops of soy beans corn and sorghum, or the micro farm growing special greens and lettuce for restaurants, or hops for brew pubs, or the local mellon berry apple and peach growers. I've been there, seen them, learned from them and benefited from their awesome products.

If there is a crime being perpetrated, it's the mangling of good food products by the fast food industry. Our insatiable appetite for hot wings, chicken strips, and burgers probably causes more abuse than any other issue. (ok, the abuse of stone crabs..ripping claws off and throwing them back to grow another. )

let's discuss some other issues on this topic.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

The thread topic was started to discuss conditions under which veal calfs are raised. Let's stick to that.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:15 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane1415
Factory Farms destroy the environment, allow desease to develop and infest the animals because of the unsanitary conditions inherant in such methods, and lower property values in addition to the unconscionable cruelty involved.
I value my health, that is why I eat NO animal products.
Oh boy....that post is just...beyond words. Not gonna touch it.

Anyhow, back on the original topic--if you aren't kosher with the way veal is made, you're gonna want to avoid a lot of products. Kobe beef is off limits to you, foie gras (though personally I find it kind of nasty, anyways), anything sold by Tyson or KFC (PETA has shown enough of those videos), any type of pork whatsoever (the pig's final moments are...not kind--they get a shocker shoved up their rear end to stun em and then a hammer to the head and a Columbian necktie for good measure), lobster (dipped live into boiling water or else put into a steamer to die), any type of crab (arms ripped off while still alive), shark (disemboweled), king salmon (same)...I could go on for hours.

They're animals. In a technical sense, so are we. Animals eat other animals, it's just the way things are. To say it's cruel how animals we eat are killed is rather asinine, though--give me a choice and I'd take one of their methods of death over getting chased and ultimately ripped to shreds while still alive to a pack of some other form of predator.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #29
Sous Chef

MAN I got a lot of answers! Thanks everyone. I feel much more educated. I'll try veal as soon as I come across a menue with veal anywhere on it.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #30
Senior Cook

In many spicey recipes, you might not be able to tell if you have beef or turkey breast; like veal scaloppine which I think has a nice tomato based sauce.

Closed Thread

Tags
None