"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Veal
Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2006, 02:12 PM   #31
Senior Cook
when I was in Washington, you can see the baby cows, they are in tiny little caged areas, where they can't walk, and have little dog houses. I guess they said, they don't let them move around, because they don't want to make muscle on the cows, which makes the meat tuff.. ever since I see those little baby cows in the farms, I haven't be able to bring myself to eat veal.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #32
Sous Chef
Look, as long as I'm already eating meat (which is, after all, taking lives to get nutrients and protein I could get from other places) it doesn't make that huge of a difference what happened to the animal to me. I used to be a vegetarian because I thought so much about the animals lives. But now that I'm not a vegetarian, there isn't really a "middle way". I can either think about the fact that once I'm sticking in my mouth was once part of a living thing, or pretend that meat is grown from the earth and was always as static as it is on my plate. When I eat it, I really have to choose the latter.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #33
Senior Cook
Debbie, I've been to DC also and those polititions helpers really don't amount to much in the rest of our food chain.

I guess that means if the Washington group doesn't do it for you; Buy your veal from somewhere else like maybe France or Argintina.

Back to where we started, NO veal isn't lamb mistreated but rather calves butchered that then taste like really mild and good meat.
May you eat well,
Old 06-12-2006, 03:03 AM   #34
Senior Cook
There is a certain amount of political correctness when it comes to veal, especially among our British friends.

Please look at it this way: killing animals to eat their flesh is unkind by definition. And the raising and slaughtering of calves is quite comparable to the other animals we eat. It is wishful thinking to believe otherwise.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:37 AM   #35
Executive Chef
AlexR. My views are MY views, not a 'British' view. Neither are they PC.... they are views I have held for nigh on 30 years... AND, I do not presume to speak for the four nations that make up the UK!
Old 06-12-2006, 04:13 AM   #36
Senior Cook
Hi Ishbel,

In fact, I didn't even read your post over the 4 page spread, and certainly did not mean to pick on you personally!
My comment had just to do with British friends and acquaintances I have met over the years here in France.
I've also met British people who are against bullfights, foie gras, etc.
It's a cultural thing. Youu simply wouldn't find that here.
Do you remember the British animal rights militants who sent letter bombs a while back?
One of them even died in England, throwing herself under a truck full of calves, trying to prevent it from moving...

As for the odd nature of the United Kingdom, can you think of anywhere else that claims that its provinces are separate countries, even allowing each of them to have a different currency (not to mention the Channel Islands, Isle of Man, etc.)?
I generally try to use the term "British" to avoid hurting anyone's sensitivities.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:08 AM   #37
Executive Chef
That's OK then.... so long as you were just generally 'dissing' the British, rather than aiming it at me

Edited to add: I am also against bull-fighting, foie gras and other things - just as I am against illegal dog-fighting, cock-fighting and bear-baiting and all other cruel 'sports' or animal rearing methods. That does not mean I ask anyone else to follow my views.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:08 AM   #38
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Debbie
when I was in Washington, you can see the baby cows, they are in tiny little caged areas, where they can't walk, and have little dog houses...
If you drive the country side here in the mid-west you will see those little houses on most farms. They actually use them for dairy cattle as well, simply for protection of the calves. They are big money and little animals. Leaving them in a barn full of milkers, one might get trampled. Mother cows (dairy cows at least, I know beef cattle are a little different) aren't as protective as their little ones as say hogs are.

Just another fun fact to add to the discussion.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:49 AM   #39
Master Chef
I've been to a slughter house and it is horible, but I am not about to stop eating meat. I am very much so against animal cruelty for one simple reason, G-d told us not to be cruel to animals.
You are what you eat.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #40
From AllenMI:

Veal, in it's purest sense, is an off-shoot of the dairy industry. To keep the dairy cows producing milk, they have to have a new calf, I believe once a year. Dairy herders always welcome a hiefer, as this will grow into a new dairy cow. Young bulls, however, are not really needed, as the dairy herders only keep a few bulls around to create more calves.

This leads to a quandrary. What to do with the young bulls? They don't really grow into the best beef cattle. So, way-back-when, they started slaughtering and butchering the young bulls just after they were weaned.

OK, the original question seems to have been answered and we can let this thread go now. Thanks all for your posts.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Closed Thread