Is it true that veal is made of baby lambs who weren't allowed to sit down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
VEAL is baby COWS, and some of them are'nt allowed to stand, they keep them immobile(cradled), as to not build tendonous mass and keep the muscle tender. In addition to that, they can be milk feed(some say forcebly, but they suck it up), and raised on alternate grains, all in an attempt to produce the choicest, most tender, yummy veal.

Not the most humane, but I personally like it from time to time.
<ducks flying objects from activists>

TATTRAT said:
VEAL is baby COWS, and some of them are'nt allowed to stand, they keep them immobile(cradled), as to not build tendonous mass and keep the muscle tender. In addition to that, they can be milk feed(some say forcebly, but they suck it up), and raised on alternate grains, all in an attempt to produce the choicest, most tender, yummy veal.

Not the most humane, but I personally like it from time to time.
<ducks flying objects from activists>
Hmm. Now I want to try veal.

amber said:
Hmm, I guessing you could have googled that one and figured it out. :rolleyes:
Well, yeah, but then I wouldn't get the expirience of conversation, right?

Veal is generally tender even if is grown naturally. It's a young cow, not a big bull. Meat is light rose, not red as for beef, but has jus some less taste. It's very nice used in preparations for children or in pizzaiola, or involtini (roll-ups).
The italian "scaloppine" are slices of veal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Veal is the meat from a cow under the age of 6 months. They aren't always mistreated, and may still be suckling from their mothers, or 'weaners' - just weaned - this makes their meat whiter and more tender. They are just younger than other meat cattle, that's all. In much the same way as 'lamb' is younger than 'mutton', or 'chicken' is younger than 'hen'.

buckytom said:
at this point, i think i'd like to be crated, massaged daily, and bottle fed.

Bad day Bucky?????

Well I can say I've never had veal myself. And personally, after reading the posts I can honestly say I have no desire to now. The thought that they were possibly treated so badly for their meat turns me off and thats what I'd think of when I sat down to eat it.

Please! Please! Don't tell me about how other animals are treated for their meat that I may be eating now. I'd rather not know.......this was enough for me.

Sizz, ok, I don't tell...but there are a lot. For instance, I didn't know about this practice with veals: I'm not sure, but I think that here is not possible. I'll take some informations.
There are a lot of animals hunted and /or grown in a very cruel way, and, of course, "eaten" in a worse one....
Everybody has his own foods "off limits"....

My ex FIL kept a small herd of cattle. He'd raise them till they were big enough to fatten up, then sell them. He said he could buy half a beef cheaper than he could feed one up.
But one spring, a calf got it's leg caught in the feeder, and he had to shoot it. He had it butchered and gave us half. The little chuck roasts were about the size of a ribeye steak, and so tender...
That's as close to veal as I've ever eaten.

As long as we humans continue to have an appetite for MEAT, we will always have the potential for cruelty on the behalf of the producers of that meat. We can't always know for sure if the animals we're eating were treated in an ethical and humane manner. However, I saw an interesting piece on '60 Minutes' (or something) about the Whole Foods Supermarket. They seem to be doing everything they can to investigate this and provide only products (including meat) that were ethically treated. Of course you probably pay extra for that, but if it's important to you I guess you will. If you don't HAVE a Whole Foods Supermarket in your area, I guess you have to do the investigation yourself... alternatively, you can just eat whatever you want and become an activist if that helps you feel better about it.

TATTRAT said:
If people think veal is cruel, don't look at the conditions where chicken eggs come from...very bad...

Tattrat, I only eat organic, free range eggs and meat! I made an informed decision about 10 or more years ago and I stand by it.... Doesn't mean I want to stop others buying battery-farmed eggs, intensively reared pigs, sheeps and beef... I know it costs me more, but that's something I am prepared to do. I know that not everyone is in that fortunate position.

Ishbel said:
Tattrat, I only eat organic, free range eggs and meat! I made an informed decision about 10 or more years ago and I stand by it.... Doesn't mean I want to stop others buying battery-farmed eggs, intensively reared pigs, sheeps and beef... I know it costs me more, but that's something I am prepared to do. I know that not everyone is in that fortunate position.

I agree, I have made the same choice, and i don't mind paying the extra cost. I think it is a superiour product anyways, and it is all we serve in my restaurant.

I was just saying that everything in the fresh case of local grocers, and alot of the products they carry are, unfortunatly, mass produced, high yield, steroid pumped, antibiotic feed, "projects", not the lil cute animals running around on a farm, like in the days of old.

Personally I think the supermarket has so removed us from the food source that we give no thought to what we eat and where it comes from. We eat animals that are housed, fed to be fat and tender, and slaughtered when young. Old meat is tough. We eat vegetables grown in dirt and fertileized with poo of various types. We eat fish from the water and we all know where we flush our toilets, be they home or industrial. This is the nature of things.
Your breakfast cerial is dipped in lye before being toasted and ground up. Your white bread flour is bleached...think clorox.

I am interested in the art and craft of food ... raising, preparing, cooking, and presenting. I am as tender hearted as the next guy or gal. Yes I'd love some more Bambi, or Thumper, or Bessie or that disgusting octopus.

Hope I didn't offend anyone, but that's what food is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom