ISO recipe for a breast of veal - not stuffed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i've been thinking of how to make a breast of veal, but not the standard way of stuffing and roasting.

is there a tnt way of braising, smoking, grilling, or frying one?

or some other prep that would make an otherwise not-very-meaty cut worthwile for a meal?

would it be good roasted then made into soup?

tia for any ideas, but tnt is greatly appreciated. :chef:

are you guessing?

a veal breast, as i've described, is devoid of enough lean flesh to bother with chops unless you're really lucky and found the dolly parton of calves.

thanks though. i guess i'll search some old cookbooks.

are you guessing?

a veal breast, as i've described, is devoid of enough lean flesh to bother with chops unless you're really lucky and found the dolly parton of calves.

thanks though. i guess i'll search some old cookbooks.
Guess your breast ribs do not have enough meat to be cut into chops that look like this-

Attachments

• vealribchop.jpg
    vealribchop.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 752
I've only stuffed it, but you got me thinking. I would think that browning & braising in a manner similar to osso bucco would be good. There's usually as much fat as meat, and a slow braise would render it and make the bits of meat very silky.

Guess your breast ribs do not have enough meat to be cut into chops that look like this-

yeah, that's ok. you were reaching it seems. i guess you've never actually bought a breast of veal, or didn't read my question as it was. considering we are from roughly the same geographic region, i doubt there could be a misunderstanding otherwise.

you are talking about cuts from a rib roast, not a breast.

for your edification: http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/customize?meatcutsveal.html

now worries though.

and yes! that's the ticket, ss.! that's sort of what i was thinking. :chef:

i'm hoping someone has done this before with good results to post.

if not, i'll experiment along the same lines and report back. thanks.

Last edited:
The last time I made veal anything was almost 60 years ago. I am not a fan at all of veal. To me it has no flavor. Not even veal cutlets. Was that piece you have on sale? From the description you give, it sounds like it would barely feed two people. :angel:

ooh, that's looks promising. i might use the outdoor grill first, then into the crock pot.
:yum:

thanks very much, b. :)

Back
Top Bottom