"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Veal
Old 08-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef
ISO TnT Veal Breast Recipe

I saw veal brest at the supermarket yesterday and realized I had never cooked or eaten one. I think it's the first time they've had veal breast available.

Some recipes I've seen on line call for braising while others call for roasting. Many call for stuffing.

Do any of you have a tried and true recipe you'd like to share?

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
andy, i don't have an actual recipe, but i've always made veal breast stuffed and roasted, italian style.

preheat your ove to 350.
cut a pocket into a roughly 2 lb. breast, rub the inside with evoo, then stuff it with a mixture of toasted breadcrumbs and garlic (the toasting of both is important), italian herbs, an egg, and a little grated parm. then the outside is rubbed with evoo, sprinkled with s&p, and placed in a roasting pan nestled into evoo and s&p rubbed halved onions and fennel, and quartered potatoes.

roast for about an hour, then crank it up for 15 minutes to help it finish with a good crust.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Andy my mother in law use to make veal pocket of Cima for us and we loved it..she made a stuffing with bread, marjoram, finely diced onion several cloves of crushed garlic, chopped Italian parsley she would use Italian bread soaked in milk and squeezed til it crumbled an egg or two depends on the size and how much you want..at the end she would add about a cup of the frozen tiny peas, stuff this into the pocet she had the butcher cut...she would then bring out the big old needle they used for sewing things that were thick or leather and put about 4/5 stitches in the meat and put it into a 400 oven, cook about half and hour lower the heat to 335 or 350 and let it cook til done..Can't remember how long but when I do it I check it every 20 minutes til I'm happy with it.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
Senior Cook
Andy, I'm originally from Western Pennsylvania, and I grew up on Veal Pocket. My Mother made a stuffing similar to one she used for turkey, and she tied it up with butcher's twine. Garlic salt and pepper, rubbed it with oil and roasted it in the oven.

It is rare to even see that cut in the grocery stores now. I wish I could find one.
toni1948 is offline   Reply With Quote