ISO Veal Scaloppini with a Marsala sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi grommet -

If you click on this link it will take you to marsala recipes members have posted.

I'm trying to get you a link to the scallopini recipes also but the site is having some "spasms" - If you can, go to the Search button above (upper right under your name), click on that, click on Advanced Search. Type in scallopini and make sure "in titles only" is selected from the drop down menu right below it.

You may be able to get there quicker than I can right now.

There is also a recipe called Sort of Chicken Marsala (original name, huh?) posted by me, kitchenelf, that may also give you another option.

If you want to do it with MASALA as opposed to MARSALA, I would season the veal on both sides with the masala, coat very lightly with flour, and saute. Serve it with a light coconut and curry butter sauce.

thanks kitchen elf..is that creme caramel that you have on your avatar..is my husbands favorite:)

any ways just another quickie ...is Madeira the same as marsala...

You're welcome grommet -

Madeira is a fortified dessert wine from the island of Madeira (Portugal)

Marsala can be sweet or dry (I always cook with dry - never had anything that called for sweet to date) fortified wine (Sicilian)

You could interchange the Madeira with the sweet marsala if you had to.

My avatar is flan - is that the same as creme caramel?

grommet said:
thanks kitchen elf..is that creme caramel that you have on your avatar..is my husbands favorite:)

any ways just another quickie ...is Madeira the same as marsala...

You recipe looks very good but is NOT veal marsala. Madeira is very different from Marsala. You should use the dry Marsala for the veal Marsala dish. Check out the recipes kitchenelf linked you to.

having trouble with that link andym...but it is the marsala recipe l,m after...

looking around the web the basic italian recipe seems to be quite simple...you dip veal in flour mixed with salt and pepper ... fry in a mix of butter and oil remove from pan..add marsala and then reduce liquid...:ermm:

Marsala Recipe

First make the scallopine. Either veal, pork, turkey, or chicken will do. You pound the meat thin between layer of plastic. Dust the scallopine with seasoned flour.

Saute the floured meat in a skillet in a combination of olive oil and butter over high heat. Just a minute or so on each side will do. Remove the meat to a plate.

Add a couple of chopped shallots and a handful of sliced mushrooms. Saute, stirring to remove any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan from the meat (fond). Add DRY marsala and reduce until almost dry. Add some chicken broth and reduce. Remove from the heat and wisk in a couple of tablespoons of butter.

Serve over pasta.

excellent andym...l will go with your recipe and let you know the result..thanks :)

Yes, the basic recipe is straightforward. It just depends on what your protein is, which type of mushrooms you use, etc.

Take a look at this. It is a variation and WONDERFUL!!!! Even if I may so so myself! :LOL:

kitchenelf,thats looks absolutleybloomingfantastical...you guys great...

It is good and despite the way I write things and over-explain - it's not hard.

One time I wasn't sure if I had enough sauce (fettucini factor) so I just added pretty much equal parts of more marsala and chicken broth to a pan while the chicken was cooking. Gave it a quick reduction and it was fine.

I can't remember if I wrote this on my recipe or not - I had everything to make this one evening and realized NO mushrooms. I caramelized some onions (sliced in rings) - I mean I got a dark golden brown. They worked great too.

grommet said:
looking around the web the basic italian recipe seems to be quite simple...you dip veal in flour mixed with salt and pepper ... fry in a mix of butter and oil remove from pan..add marsala and then reduce liquid...:ermm:
It IS simple. Nothing more than this.
For my personal taste, NO pepper, and fry only in butter. When nearly cooked, just lightly golden, add marsala without removing them from pan, and reduce it.
Marsala is a wine produced in Sicily, in Marsala Town. There are different qualities, according to color, sugar, and age. For Scaloppine, use a Dry one.
(Not many persons know that Marsala wine has been esported from Italy, for the first time, by an Englishman, John Woodhouse, who was the first exporter of the wine, in the last 1700. The first, big, official order of Marsala wine was signed by Horace Nelson, for the Britannic fleet).:cool:

a quick question..if you buy a good cut of veal and it is sliced thinly,do you still have to pound it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom