Veal Scallopine with Saffron & Porcini ...
Scalloppine Allo Zafferano e Funghi Porcini ...
2 servings ...
Saffron is featured in numerous dishes in Abruzzi. The Navelli, Abruzzi region and DOC, controlled designation of origin is known for its saffron.
Here is one of the uncountable recipes that I prepare for the Vet ( Filippo ) ...
1 1/4 cups chicken stock homemade
all purpose flour ( for dredging )
1 tblsp butter
2 tblsps extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots ( or 1 Leek )
1/4 cup dry white Italian Wine
1/4 tsp. saffron threads
salt and freshly ground rose, green and black peppercorns
3/4 ounce wild mushrooms - porcini or other Italian type mushrooms / can also use dried mushrooms if you wish ...
1. bring the chicken stock to simmer in a small sauce pan
2. add fresh or dried mushrms and soak in the stock until softened about 1/2 hour and then drain the mushrms and reserve the soaking liquid
3. coarsely chop the mushrooms
4. sprinkle veal with with salt and freshly ground peppercorns
5. dredge the veal into the flour to coat and shake off excess
6. melt butter and pour in EVOO in heavy large skillet over medium heat
7. add veal scallopine scallops and sauté until golden brown, 2 minutes per side
8. transfer the veal to a platter and tent foil cover to keep warm
9. add the shallots or leek ( if easier to find ) and sauté 2 mins. Then add the mushrooms, reserved soaking liquid, wine and saffron to skillet in this order. ( drain excess butter & evoo grease )
10. boil until reduced to sauce consistency, stirring often for about 7 to 8 minutes.
11. season with salt and freshly ground peppercorns
12. spoon sauce over the veal ...
SERVE WITH: CHILLED DRY WHITE WINE OR PROSECCO, HOT CRUSTY WARM OVEN ITALIAN STYLE BREAD, CANDLELIGHT, AND A SMILE ...
*** SIDE FOR THIS DISH: a green arugula salad and
or a Bucatoni with Reggiano Parmesano or Pecorino Sardo ...