Ossibuchi alla Milanese di Lombardia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
:chef: This recipe has been posted for a special colleague, Luca and he too, " is a pilar of Mediterranean delicacies" ... Thanks Luca.

Lombardia, the land of majestic mountains, plains on the Rive Po, lakes and cities profoundly steeped in antiguity in addition to the renowned metropolitan Milan, the Fashion Capital of the world in northern central Italia, in which, Lombardia shares a border with Switzerland.

From a gastronomic viewpoint, Rice used for the international marvel, Risotto, is one of the connecting links to its 9 provinces. This brings us to the uncountable Risotto dishes that the Government Ministry of Tourism has documented. Cheese is another leit-motiv of this region: Gorgonzola, Taleggio, Stracchino, Grana, Bel Pase and Bitto.

Furthermore, Polenta and Pizzocheri which is a buckwheat pasta variety and the vegetable garden are the most common products of this zone. Lombardia, where my paternal Grandmom Margherite was born and raised, in Milan, the world´s fashion showroom, brings us two renowned dishes: Ossibuchi alla Milanese with veal shins and Risotto alla Milanese which combines perfectly with this dish.

:chef: :yum: Recipe for Osso Buco alla Milanese or Ossi Buchi Alla Milanese ... ( serves 4 )

4 veal shins or veal shanks cut into 2 Inch thick pieces with bone marrow in centre ( about 3 pounds )

salt and pepper

125ml. home made chicken stock

1 glass of dry white Italian Wine

25 grams butter and 25 grams butter, total 50 grams

5 tomatoes peeled and de-seeded and chopped finely or one 28 ounce plum tomatoes in jar or tin

1 carrot diced finely

1 celery stalk diced finely

1 small onion

1 tblsp fresh finely chopped parsley

zest of 1/2 fresh lemon

Milanese Ham ( proscuitto di Milano ) or Proscuitto di Parma

1. in a large dutch oven casserole, sauté the veal shins in butter on both sides until golden and sprinkle salt and pepper

2. Remove the meat, and place on platter and tent to keep warm

3. drain fat from the casserole and sauté all the veggies and the ham

4. pour the chicken stock into the casserole and boil, and then lower flame to simmer, and add the white wine, and reduce to 1/4 cup stirring often

5. add the tomatoes and continue the simmer

6. rectify the salt and pepper

7. place the meat, in the casserole and pour the liquid concoction from the casserole with the tomatoes over the meat.

8. cover the shallow heavy casserole and simmer 4o minutes, at most 50 mins. until meat is tender and juices thicken substantially

9. reduce sauce with wooden spoon breaking up tomatoes and run the sauce through a sieve

10. pour the sauce over the veal shins and serve with crusty warm Italian style bread, and Risotto alla Milanese ( to be posted under Rice Section at wkend ) and serve with a fine Italian Red Wine. :yum:

Courtesy of: Margaux Cintrano - Copyrighted 2000

Last edited by a moderator:
Luca,

That would be marvelous if you could take some photos. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask ... I am going to post the Risotto alla Milanese to go with it !!! ( in Rice Section ) ... Sprinkle fresh flat Italian parsley chopped real finely on top ... it is a handsome dish !

I am sure that it shall come out phenomenally.
Ciao.
Margi.

Good Evening, Luca,

Please note: the lemon zest: slice zest of 1/2 of a fresh lemon, and boil in the chicken stock ... Remove: when you put the tomato blended chickenstock in the sieve !

Thanks.
Margi.

And although I realize this is sacrelige, if you're a non-red-meat-eating person, the above recipe - & any Osso Buco recipe - is also fabulous using turkey bacon or duck prosciuto for the ham, & turkey legs for the shanks. Only difference is that, depending on the size of the drumsticks, you can usually shave 10 or so minutes off the braising time. End result is FABULOUS, whether served over risotto or even buttered egg noodles. Terrific comfort food for a chilly autumn evening.

Last edited:
Bacardi Goes Sacreligious on Grandmom Margherite ? !

Turkey shins ?

Turkey bacon ?

To each his own, however, thanks for posting because, this could be a truly interesting alternative recipe for those who need a non red meat recipe ...

However, remember what Barbara´s Indians have said: Vegetarian ?

Poor Hunters !

Bacardi: thanks for posting ... Why don´t you work up a thread in Poultry for your concoction ? Yes, I give you permission to "use the Milanese base of my Grandmom´s Recipe" !

Have nice wkend.
Margi.

Honestly Margi - & absolutely no offense to "Grandmom's Recipe" - every single recipe I've collected for Osso Buco is nearly IDENTICAL to the one you posted except for the addition of a few extra herbs in the ones in my collection. That's the only difference.

Copyrighted or not, if you do a websearch, you'll find that "your" recipe is all over the internet almost word for word on dozens of websites with just a few minor changes. That's the way of recipes on the internet these days.

And as for my "concoction" - it's absolutely delicious in its own right, whether or not "Grandmom" would approve.

Last edited:
@ Bacardi,

Of course, I am only teasing ! I am sure the actual tomato, wine and other ingredients would be lovely with any type of fowl or chicken or meat or even as a thick white firm fish recipe. SOME MINOR ADJUSTMENTS NEEDED however, could be done ...

Yes, of course I know ... it is a much more common dish than my Grandmom´s Tuscan Version : osshi buchi alla tuscana

it is subtley different ...

Luca had asked me to post it for his guests. So I did.

Have a nice wkend. What do you think of the TUSCAN one ?

Margi.

Last edited:
Oh, your Tuscan version looks absolutely delicious & I'll definitely be trying it. The major differences I see in the versions I have is that most also call for garlic, & sometimes thyme or rosemary. Also that some don't call for lemon zest, & a few are tomato-less. But they all have the basics, & all are delicious in their own right. But I will be trying your version & will report back. :)

Photo of Osso Bucchi with Risotto Milanese

By: Margaux Cintrano.

Attachments

• osso bucchi.jpg
    osso bucchi.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 481
This sounds delicious, thanks for sharing Margi :)

Recipe for Osso Buco alla Milanese or Ossi Buchi Alla Milanese ... ( serves 4 )

4 veal shins or veal shanks cut into 2 Inch thick pieces with bone marrow in centre ( about 3 pounds )

salt and pepper

125ml. home made chicken stock

1 glass of dry white Italian Wine

25 grams butter and 25 grams butter, total 50 grams

5 tomatoes peeled and de-seeded and chopped finely or one 28 ounce plum tomatoes in jar or tin

1 carrot diced finely

1 celery stalk diced finely

1 small onion

1 tblsp fresh finely chopped parsley

zest of 1/2 fresh lemon

Milanese Ham ( proscuitto di Milano ) or Proscuitto di Parma

1. in a large dutch oven casserole, sauté the veal shins in butter on both sides until golden and sprinkle salt and pepper

2. Remove the meat, and place on platter and tent to keep warm

3. drain fat from the casserole and sauté all the veggies and the ham

4. pour the chicken stock into the casserole and boil, and then lower flame to simmer, and add the white wine, and reduce to 1/4 cup stirring often

5. add the tomatoes and continue the simmer

6. rectify the salt and pepper

7. place the meat, in the casserole and pour the liquid concoction from the casserole with the tomatoes over the meat.

8. cover the shallow heavy casserole and simmer 4o minutes, at most 50 mins. until meat is tender and juices thicken substantially

9. reduce sauce with wooden spoon breaking up tomatoes and run the sauce through a sieve

10. pour the sauce over the veal shins and serve with crusty warm Italian style bread, and Risotto alla Milanese ( to be posted under Rice Section at wkend ) and serve with a fine Italian Red Wine. :yum:

Courtesy of: Margaux Cintrano - Copyrighted 2000

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom