Substitute for veal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paint

Senior Cook
What can I use as a substitute for veal in a recipe? I won't eat veal but have found some wonderful recipes for it that I would like to try with a substitute.

Thanks,
Paint.

It would depend on the recipe, but usually chicken is a good sub for veal.

This has been moved to the Veal forum.

Last edited:
Assuming you're not concerned with the overall taste and texture being a bit different, I'd try boneless, skinless chicken breast pounded very thin.

I recommend pork tenderloin as another alternative.

Slice medallions from the tenderloin and pound thin to substitute for scallopine.

Turkey can work as well.

all of these suggestions can possibly work, but each will taste a bit different. Pick the meat you like the best and experiment :chef:

Here in the UK many people use escallopes of pork as a replacement for veal. I don't eat veal on ethical grounds, and substitute it with the thin pork pieces.

Pork loin or tenderloin would be the best substitute in terms of trying to simulate both the texture and taste of veal. If you're going to make scallopini, then just do what Andy M. said with either the loin or tenderloin. Becareful when pounding the tenderloin however because the meat is very soft and may break. For veal chops, just substitute a thick cut pork chop and prepare accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom