Veal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
The veal spot was shut down for very good reasons. But I live in Dairly Land, and we just took a road trip. As usual, we saw calves on a leash, with a little dog house. We actually pointed them out to our friends. They lived better than many, and I do mean MANY pets I know. I'm not saying that all live that well. But around here, they seem to be treated almost as pets, and surely better than some pets I know of. I'm not saying they aren't abused elswhere, but you could take PETA here and not find animal abuse. I know of dogs and cats and other pets who wish they had such a life. Actually I know of humans who'd probably prefer their life.

It is important to realize that to keep prices low, modern farming uses "assembly line" techniques.

What needs to concern us most is what the animals are fed, beacause that can and does affect us, and that the animals are cleaned of regularly of waste and certainly before slaughter, because that does always affect us: e coli etc.

If one wants "country farm story book" raised animals, expect to pay $20 lb for common hamburger, $50 lb for a great steak or roast, and chickens at $7 lb etc.

Food prices for meat have remained very low over the years because we have mass produced their raising. For a person to harp on how veal is raised or fois gras is made seems irrelevant as we are happy to eat chicken wings, baby back ribs, stone crab claws, etc.

Back
Top Bottom