"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Veal

Old 11-18-2006, 08:57 AM   #11
Executive Chef

All in all, I am also have the opinion that lamb chops would be the easiest lamb dish to prepare and the loin would certainly be the best cut for chops. I have read the various suggestions for marinating the chops and to this I would like to add that marination normally would be necessary only to the extent of allowing spices to penetrate the meat for an even taste. I do not think that marinating liquids/sauces are really necessary. If they are meant to alter the natural taste of lamb meat, you should probably not be cooking lamb at all.

If you have the option choose as young an animal as possible. This is so because what is marketed as lamb in the U.S. is not really lamb (milk-fed animal) but mutton (just matured animal). The latter has a very strong taste indeed. Over here, lamb chops would be seasoned with salt and pepper only, preferably the night before grilling, and a light sprinkling of lemon juice after they come off the grill. Mutton is not eaten at all and it is used exclusively for making sausage.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #12
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
hate those supermarket already in the tray package. They don't give you much of a choice with lamb.

Just to be clear, I was referring to the WalMart foods style of packaging that is all pre-done. All of our regular supermarkets break down any package in their case to what you want to buy--one or two chops, etc. Yours will also, won't they?
I've never shopped at Super WalMart (those are the ones with the "grocery store", right?) so I wouldn't know. Where I shop (Schnuck's, which is a regional chain out of St. Louis, MO, bought out the Albertson's stores when they couldn't make a go of it in the Memphis area!) I sometimes have to ask if they have lamb shanks. And the butcher goes in the back and if they do, they do, if they don't, they don't. Lamb isn't exactly a big seller in Tennessee. But I do love lamb.

For my boyfriends' high school prom (we're talking 30 years ago!) we went to dinner with his best friend and his best friends' girlfriend at Paulette's, a Continental French Restaurant. We ordered lamb kabobs (medium rare per the server's suggestion) on a bed of rice pilaf with sauteed spring vegetables. Delicious! Unfortunately, Paulette's appears to have gone by the wayside. I just checked; the number has been disconnected and there is no new listing. What a shame.

Fraidy

Old 11-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Veal has a very mellow flavor. I love it with sauces that have a creamy side to them (either by flavor or texture).

Lamb definetly has a distinct flavor that you either love or hate (garlic & rosemary complement it well). Not sure if the lamb I buy is truely lamb or older mutton, but I like very specific preparations. I always introduce people to lamb with a greek pizza-house style gyro common in New England (but higher quality!). I make an herbed meatloaf (which I roast), and then slice into soft flatbread with some diced tomato, onion, and cucumber/garlic-yogurt sauce (tzatziki). Alton Brown has a decent recipe on Foodtv.com.

I also break up my lamb shanks into the braising liqiud rather than serve a big 'ole leg to someone. Whole Foods has New Zealand Lamb Shanks for $4.99/lb, with each shank being betweem 0.75 and 1.25lbs.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #14
Senior Chef

Quote:
hate those supermarket already in the tray package. They don't give you much of a choice with lamb.

Just to be clear, I was referring to the WalMart foods style of packaging that is all pre-done. All of our regular supermarkets break down any package in their case to what you want to buy--one or two chops, etc. Yours will also, won't they?
Heh. Let me tell you a little story. Back in 1999, right on the anniversary of Y2K (thank goodness the world didn't end!)... I wanted 1/4 pound of ground pork to make Thai steamed dumplings, which is one of my signature dishes. So I went to the grocery store. Hmmm, no ground pork. I asked the butcher, could you grind me some pork? He said no, don't we have any of that pre-wrapped Hormel stuff out there? Um, no.

He said sorry, since we were bought out by Albertson's we aren't allowed to grind our own meat anymore. He then went into a diatriabe about how he'd been a butcher for 20 years but they (the company) didn't seem to think he'd know how to clean the grinder between grinding different types of meat. He was so very angry about it he went in the back, ground some nice lean pork for me and slapped a label on it that just said "meat". And he said, "Have a Happy New Year!" God bless him! By the way, Albertson's pulled out of the Memphis area a year later. Couldn't make a go of it. I wonder why? The customer doesn't always want cryovac'd meat, that's why!

But to answer your question, no they can't always offer a single chop. That lamb leg cut was tasty, though. And a bargain!

Fraidy
Old 11-19-2006, 08:21 PM   #15
Senior Chef

Unhappy

Quote:

Only if they have it on hand. Doesn't matter anyway; I can't afford lamb right now unless I luck into a deal like that leg steak I found in October. I've been unemployed since April, 2004 not for lack of sending out resumes, posting my resume on two "career" web sites, applying for jobs for which I'm over-qualified (clerking at retail establishments). There just isn't much out there for a middle-aged woman. They don't want to hire someone who expects a living wage when they can hire someone right out of (or still in) college who (a) still lives at home or (b) has a couple of roommates and thinks $18K is a great deal of money!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #16
Cook

Instructions
  1. 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, 2 pounds fillet of veal, 1/2 cup cream, 4 tablespoons flour, 1 large onion, 1 carrot, seasoning, 12 preserved mushrooms, and 12 whole peppers.
  2. Cut veal into square pieces, put them into stewpan with enough cold water to cover, bring it to boil, and skim well; add salt to taste, onion cut in quarters, carrot, whole peppers; cook gently 1 hour.
  3. Take up meat, strain stock, and measure off 1 pint.
  4. Melt vegetable shortening in stewpan, stir in flour, add stock; boil and skim; cook for a few minutes.
  5. Add mushrooms, cut in slices, and cream; put in pieces of veal; make hot, but do not boil again; season nicely, dish up, sprinkle little chopped parsley over, and serve.

Tags
None