Veal Scaloppini with Madeira and Porcini Mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
This sounds great! I may have to get some veal from my boss and try this. Of course, I may have to get some the morel mushrooms he has stashed away and use those instead of porcini mushrooms as well :)

Veal Scaloppini with Madeira and Porcini Mushrooms
Yield: 6 servings

¾ oz dried porcini mushrooms
1 c veal or chicken stock
1 ½ # veal scaloppini, pounded and flattened
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Seasoned flour, for dredging
2 T vegetable oil
4 T butter
2 shallots, minced
2 T garlic, minced
½ c Madeira wine
¾ c heavy cream

In a small saucepan, combine dried porcinis with veal stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and steep for 30 minutes. Remove porcinis from liquid, rinse under running water, chop finely, and set aside. Strain liquid through a fine sieve and reserve. Season veal with salt and pepper on both sides and lightly dredge in seasoned flour. (Do not do this until you are ready to cook the veal.) In a skillet over high heat, add 1 T of the oil and heat until hot but not smoking. Add 2 T of the butter and sauté half of the veal, cooking for 1 minute on each side, until golden brown and crispy. Transfer veal to a warm plate and set aside.
Sauté remaining veal in remaining oil and butter, wiping skillet clean between batches if necessary.
Transfer veal to warm plate and add reserved porcini mushrooms, shallots, garlic, and Madeira, scraping pan bottom with a wooden spoon. When Madeira has reduced by half, add reserved porcini broth, and cook for 3 minutes or until volume is reduced by half. Add heavy cream and cook for 3 - 4 minutes, until sauce is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and return veal to skillet to heat through, about 1 ½ minutes. Serve immediately with sauce spooned over the top.

That does sound good. I think that might be good with some of my venison loin.
Allen, I love morels, but HB won't pick them because he gets chiggers so bad. We have friends who always pick a lot of them, but they don't share. :(

wonderful recipe allenm1 trying it out on thursday...after a visit to our italian butcher in adelaide

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom