A great lamb recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

balibar

Cook
I'd like to pass on a recipe I tried last week-end when we had friends over for dinner. It was a great success, didn't keep me in the kitchen forever while everybody else was having fun and the (very few) leftovers were delicious.

[/u]Lamb with apricots and prunes

You'll need:

4lbs of shoulder or leg of lamb, deboned
1 cup chopped coriander
1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 sticks of cinnamon (no powder, it'll ruin the colour)
1/2 tbsp saffron
1tbsp turmeric
salt & pepper
1/2 stick butter
3tbsp vegetable oil

1 packet prunes
1 packet dried apricots
1 stick of cinnamon
2tbsp orange blossom water
1/2 cup sugar

Soak the apricots in warm water.

Mix the oil and butter into a pot. When hot add the three spices and fry for about 2 minutes. Add the lamb, pressing it down so it's nicely coated.
Roast in pot for about 10 minutes. Add water half way up the meat.
Cook for 30m turning the meat over once. Add the parsley and coriander.
Cook for another 30m, turning the meat over once after 15m.

In a smaller pot, pour about 3 cups of water. Add the sugar, cinnamon and orange blossom water. Bring to boil. Add the prunes and simmer for about 10 to 15 m.

When the meat is cooked (you can cook it earlier during the day and leave it in the pot until you get to last phase), remove it from the pot, place it in an oven-proof dish and roast it in a hot oven until the outside of the meat becomes crispy.

Strain the prunes. Slightly sauté the apricots in butter. Strain the meat sauce. Put back into pot and whip in a little butter.

Serve the meat with the fruit around it and the sauce in a separate dish.

This dish is really full of flavour and the meat is so tender you can cut it with your fork.

Bon appétit, mes amis!

Oh Yummy!

One can never have too many lamb recipes.

Thanks for posting this one.

Hi ,
I roasted the lamb on gas no; 4 or the equivalent in electric... I put it in for 3 hours as it was a large leg of lamb, and basted it every half hour so as to keep it juicy... As to where you can get the orange blossom water, I got mine at my local supermarket but try the chemist , they may be able to help you, or a shop that sells oriental spices, they may have it .. Here in England it is not hard to find, but as you are in Florida , you may have to search it out..
"Good luck "
hope you enjoy it as we did...

Back
Top Bottom