A heavenly moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
Most of this life we suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, but occasionally we have a momentary glimpse of heaven. Such was my lot tonight.

B/W bought some spring lamb chops, and, although she hates lamb (!!), she prepared them perfectly, and I all but swooned, they were so delicious. (O.K. Maybe I exaggerate a little - not sure what "swooning" is!)

Here's what she said she did:

Spring lamb chops (if the rib bones are more than 1/2" wide, they're too old! these were a tad over 3/8")

Salt and peppered (freshly ground, of course) both sides

Scrub both sides with a fresh garlic clove, cut in half.

Scrub both sides with leaves of fresh spearmint.

Sear both sides quickly in a hot cast iron skillet with just a touch of oil.

Transfer to a small rack over a drip pan of some sort, and roast in a preheated 350F oven for about 6 or 7 minutes.

Serve piping hot.

Those chops, with a butter slathered baked potato, a slice of my fresh homemade bread, wine and a green salad made a delightful dinner I'll not forget for a long time!

Last edited:
sounds wonderful..Makes me want to run to the meat market right now!!:) I will on saturday though. thanks for sharing.

kadesma:)

You are one lucky coot!!!!! She doesn't like lamb yet she prepares it perfectly for you!!!!! Better be send'in for some roses my friend!:rolleyes:

In January this year I was fortunate enough to spend a great weekend in Rome with a very good friend of mine. A fantastic experience - to see Rome with a Roman (and god bless my wife who was working and could not make the trip).
Anyway, this guy is a doctor and originally hails from a little town not too far from Rome called Santa Maria. When he had been home the previous summer he had helped a very senior lady back to good health. In return, she arrived at his door with the butchered carcass of her finest lamb. He took it to Rome and stowed it in his freezer. He decided, since I had helped him translate his papers into English for publication, that the lamb would be our Sunday celebration lunch. Bellisimo!!!! It was simply roast with rosemary, potatoes, garlic and beans. What, I think, mattered was the quality of the lamb - truly organic, bred and fed on the hills beyond Rome. It was a meal that ended on a high note, my short (4 day) visit to the Eternal City.

After the lunch, my friend drove me to see Lazio, and not being a football fan he dropped me at the stadium. Later, he picked me back up to take me for a final drive around Roma before taking me the airport. Italian hospitality!!! (I could go on and on about the days leading up to my final lunch, and I frequently do.)

Sounds like a wonderful experience. Lamb is without doubt my favourite meat, that is predictable I suppose being a Kiwi. But I do not like it slaughtered too young, I don't like the flavour. An ideal animal for me is between 10 months to one year. I consider that to be the peak of flavour. I like Hogget and mutton too, depending on how it is cooked.

Lamb sirloin chops, fresh rosemary, a pepper grinder, and a broiler.

I've yet to find anything closer to heaven you can do in front your roomates. :angel:

BTW, if you can't find lamb sirloin, yell at your butcher. ;)

Lamb-Sirloin-Chop.jpg

drool.gif

Last edited:
Lamb is my favourite meat too and I'm not even a Kiwi, although I am an Aussie :)

I like the idea of rubbing the meat with garlic and herbs. Seeing it's a public holiday tomorrow I'll have to wait until Tuesday to get some lamb. I don't know if I can wait that long!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom